Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..

Article about: Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket .Real or Fake? I would like some opinions on this jacket from the membership please .

Default Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..

Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket .Real or Fake? I would like some opinions on this jacket from the membership please .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..   Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..  

Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..   Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..  

Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..   Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..  

Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..

It's really hard to say if this is original or not. The jacket is commonly known as the 'Hartmann' type and is the most often copied of WW2 flight jackets. These were not produced for the Luftwaffe but were private purchase, and as such I don't see the reason for the date stamp in the pocket lining, it's almost like it's trying too hard to be something it isn't.

The metal fittings appear good, but again, these have continued in production to this day. Even saying that the leather appears to have 70 years of wear is conjecture, so I don't know what to say, it's a real difficult call. The only thing I can think of is getting the thread tested somehow, to see if it is of modern manufacture, but how do you do that? And what if it's not, does it make a difference?

It's a nice jacket, but I personally wouldn't pay more for it than a quality modern repro, it's too subjective.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you for your post, it's much appreciated! I agree with you, it's really hard to tell if this is original or not, that's why i thought to ask for some help! I attach a few more pics perhaps it could help you a bit more.Once again,thanks for replying!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..   Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..  

I know it's a bit of a ball acher, but could you post some good, upclose pic's of the Eagle? I'm sure some of the chaps here would like a closer look at that, it's type, cloth or metal, and the way it's attached. Ta!

Regards, Ned.

P.S. I forgot, the epaulettes as well please!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I agree with Ned, also take some shots of the interior where the eagle is, especially if its a sewn on version if its metal it might have an ordinary pin than comes undone, but dont try to force it, just in case

In my opinion it could be a period made jacket but it could also have been made in August 1949...and I dare everybody to disagree or to that it ain't the case!
    To me the date is a big no-no...and I'm with Ed on this one!
    cheers
    Manny

Hi everyone,
    Unfortunately these were the only pics i got from the seller and there is no point to ask for more now as the jacket was sold.
    Thank you guys for sharing your views!
    Greetings from Athens1

2 pics of an almost similar jacket
    Attached Images Attached Images Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..  Opinions on this Luftwaffe Flight Leather Jacket ..