Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this wallet.

Article about: Any ideas as to what era? Was there a RAD badge in WW1? Any help appreciated.

?

Default Thoughts on this wallet.

Any ideas as to what era?
    Was there a RAD badge in WW1?
    Any help appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this wallet.   Thoughts on this wallet.  

Thoughts on this wallet.   Thoughts on this wallet.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this wallet.
    P
    Many

Id be willing to bet this is WWII. the insignia is from the era and the post mark date on the paper is 1943

Can you post the inside flap showing the Skull and Cipher prongs? Please

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    Id be willing to bet this is WWII. the insignia is from the era and the post mark date on the paper is 1943
    I agree, the R.A.D. wasn't formed until the late 30's
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Hello Mazlin,

An interesting piece you have there.

To me it looks a bit like the vegetable rings in Art Deco. A little bit of everything.

The broken skull corresponds to the pattern of the Prussian skull and crossbones for the fur cap of the Leib-Hussar Regiments 1 and 2.

The 5 and the 9 come from the Heer of the Reichswehr and were overlays for shoulder straps of Unteroffiziere/non-commissioned officers.

The imprint on the back is, as you guessed it, from a RAD badge. And of course it only existed in the Third Reich, since the "Gesetz für den Reichsarbeiterdienst/Law for the Reich Labor Service" was not passed until June 26, 1935.

So we have three different epochs. A skull and crossbones for the fur cap from the Prussian era, overlays for shoulder straps from the Weimar Republic and the imprint of a missing RAD badge from the Third Reich.

It seems extremely unlikely to me that the pieces should come from one and the same person, especially since even the two overlays for shoulder straps from the Weimar Republic look differently aged (probably different storage conditions)

In my opinion the pieces were later merged on this wallet.

The enclosed note comes from the Third Reich and is a record of the dispatch of 100 Reichsmarks by Obergefreiter/corporal Helmut Schild by field post (no. 34092E) to Miss Elisabeth Stuckardt, resident in Wehrda / K. Hünfeld in the former federal state of Kurhessen.

I hope this information helps you in your research.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

It does look to me like the badges have been in position for a long time but yes interesting combination.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this wallet.   Thoughts on this wallet.  

Thoughts on this wallet.  

?

It also has about 10 French coins dated 1942 and 43.
    Seems that skull could really predate the wallet.

Tradition Badges

CBH
    ?

I would say this was done by an allied soldier, I’ve seen these before.
    Usually with some non-related TR insignia that the soldier had gathered up.
    The skull is more likely a panzer collar then the rarer traditional badge.

?

Indeed. The scale alone precludes the skull from being a Leib-Hussar Regiment cap badge.
    To me, all of these insignia could easily date from the Third Reich era.

Does anyone know which unit the Feldpostnummer relates to? That might confirm or exclude the numerals, and perhaps enable a degree of research into the original owner...

CSW
    ?

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Does anyone know which unit the Feldpostnummer relates to? That might confirm or exclude the numerals, and perhaps enable a degree of research into the original owner...
    Hi everyone!

Feldpostnummer 34092E seems to relate to 4. (Panzeraufklärungs-) Schwadron, Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 24. According to the Lexikon, this unit was part of the 24. Panzer-Division in 1943.

The unit had been previously known as Radfahr-Bataillon 1, Radfahr-Abteilung 1 and Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 4. Interestingly, the last two digits of the older Feldpostnummer (22659) for 4. Schwadron are a match for the numerals 59. The Panzer skull would thus make sense as well.

Hopefully this will help a bit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast