Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping

Article about: Hi guys, This grouping was recently sold as a grouping of items kept by a wounded German soldier but I have (a gut feeling) that they actually tell the lost story of a German casuality and k

Jan
    ?

Default Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping

Hi guys,

This grouping was recently sold as a "grouping of items kept by a wounded German soldier" but I have (a gut feeling) that they actually tell the lost story of a German casuality and kept by a soldier who took them as a war trophy.

Although we will of course never know the full story, items like this serve as a poignant reminder of the futility of war.

I will present and continue communicate tragic items like to schoolchildren here in Finland in a project "The Traces of War Near You" supported by a grant by the "Finnish Cultural Foundation" 2021 - 2022.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping   Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping   Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

Last edited by Jan; 05-03-2021 at 09:38 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping
    P
    Many

This happened quite often.

Looking at the image I get the same feeling Jan. it’s these types of pieces that really bring home the human side of war in a very visceral way. A sad but interesting piece of history no less.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Who and why we will never know, but a poignant item for sure.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I don't know... seems like an odd thing to take as a souvenir. On the other hand, you can find many period photos of medics cutting open tunics/trousers/boots to access and treat a wound. I can more easily imagine a soldier keeping this scrap of his uniform as a souvenir of being wounded in action (or a friend keeping it for him), but who knows

By war trophy or wounding, either way it is a gruesome reminder of wars past.

Jan
    ?

It has arrived.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

TWS
    ?

Quote by sfk20 View Post
    I don't know... seems like an odd thing to take as a souvenir. On the other hand, you can find many period photos of medics cutting open tunics/trousers/boots to access and treat a wound. I can more easily imagine a soldier keeping this scrap of his uniform as a souvenir of being wounded in action (or a friend keeping it for him), but who knows
    I saw this lot at the auction and I agree with you. My gut is the German soldier kept it as his own souvenir, not some Allied soldier. I had the good fortune to meet with RKT Artur Becker twice when I lived in Germany and he told me how he'd kept his damaged helmet from his wounding during the fight that earned him the RK. His mother had stuck it on a peg on the wall in their home next to his school uniform caps and threw it in the canal as the Red Army approached in '45.
    Furthermore, this particular auction house has a highly developed network of pickers within Germany and it's way more likely it came from the German family than an Allied veteran.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Jan
    ?

I have to agree with you TWS, especially now that I saw the very high quality (possibly oak) wooden box in which the items were kept after the war.

This would also explain the additional items (from another uniform) that were included in the lot.

Best, Jan

TWS
    ?

Quote by Jan View Post
    I have to agree with you TWS, especially now that I saw the very high quality (possibly oak) wooden box in which the items were kept after the war.

This would also explain the additional items (from another uniform) that were included in the lot.

Best, Jan
    Hi Jan. Congrats on acquiring this very compelling piece! I had bookmarked it and was tempted to bid on it. I didn't because by the time it crossed the block, I'd already spent way too much money.

From the moment I first saw the lot, I agreed with Klaus' description. Of course, I don't "know", but I got a strong vibe that it is as he described.

Enjoy this intriguing piece of history.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast