Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping

Article about: Hi guys, This grouping was recently sold as a grouping of items kept by a wounded German soldier but I have (a gut feeling) that they actually tell the lost story of a German casuality and k

Jan
    ?

Thanks for your help guys, today I started researching the many items in this grouping. I would like to start off with this "Talisman" or good luck charm (?).

Does anyone know what the item originally was. How old it is and (possibly) how it was worn (as a button?).

I am very grateful for all your help with this one!

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping   Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

Last edited by Jan; 05-22-2021 at 08:15 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping
    P
    Many

Hi.
    It´s a coin. A Bavarian Thaler 1868

No. Sorry I Think it´s earlier.... a Thaler from 1770

Santi

Jan
    ?

Wow thats old! Judging by the patina and the loop on the backside it seems it was sewn onto something rather than carried in a chain, Would be interesting to hear the story about it.

Thank you so much for your kind help

These old silver coins were kept in families and with the passing of the generations they used to take a jeweler to make them into pendants or brooches.
    The logical thing is that the soldier's grandmother or mother gave it to her son so that he could wear it as an amulet. It would not be strange if that same pendant was worn by his father in the Great War or even by his grandfather in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870.
    In this state of conservation, they are for about 80/100 euros. This undoubtedly has a great value for belonging to the soldier's group.
    I do believe that, since those coins were state owned, their owner was probably Bavarian.

Thaler Bavarian Duke Maximilian III

Regards
    Santi

Jan
    ?

Thanks again Santi, I´m very grateful for your help!

An intriguing item and one that provokes many thoughts.

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my latest "salty", cut off piece of tunic together with an Eisernes Kreutz 1. Klasse and Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwartz.

The pice shows heavy soiling on the inside and what seems to be bullet hole or more probably a hole caused by schrapnel. Seems possible that this piece of tunic too was kept by the soldier as a memory after he got wounded.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping   Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping   Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

Last edited by Jan; 05-27-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Jan
    ?

I will send more photos soon.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tragic, cut off Heer uniform grouping  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2