Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Zinc Pith insignias

Article about: Would you guys use Vaseline to coat pith insignias? I've only had to use Vaseline on items that aren't painted. I'm sure it'll be fine.. but wanna make sure. Thanks!

Default Zinc Pith insignias

Would you guys use Vaseline to coat pith insignias? I've only had to use Vaseline on items that aren't painted. I'm sure it'll be fine.. but wanna make sure.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zinc Pith insignias
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Is it showing any zinc pest/rot?

It not I would leave it as is but I don't think it will harm the paint
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the reply Map!

No zinc pest yet... However, I've read from others on here esp SS insignia owners that they cost their insignia as a safety measure even if there are no signs.

Ok I guess I'll be slathering it up tonight for curing.

MAP
    ?

Let's just wait for a few more responses. I see no reason why it would harm the paint but let's just see if others have any bad experiences

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Understood.
    I heard zinc pest can spread to other medals.

MAP
    ?

I've never heard that but could be true. I think much depends on the quality of the zinc itself

Quote by MAP View Post
    I've never heard that but could be true. I think much depends on the quality of the zinc itself
    Also, the storage conditions.
    If kept dry and at a constant relative humidity, there is no reason for any zinc pest to develop.
    I do not apply Vaseline to anything that does not have zinc pest, rather use something like Ren-Wax to preserve.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hey thanks Ralph!

Much appreciate the guidance.

I think i found some globs or specs of zinc pest in the rear of the insignia. my phone is horrible at taking pictures so I can't capture it properly..but it's only in 2 small areas behind the shield. Powdery substance and brittle when I scrap with my nail. I think I'll treat the rear side of the shield. The painted areas in front and around the edges look good so far, so I'll leave those areas alone.

I need to know something. I pulled up a decade old thread where someone mentioned that zinc pest can spread to other badges in your riker case or whatever storage a collector uses. So... Is this a myth??? If it is true, would it only affect other zinc badges/insignias/tinnies? Or can it affect cupal, steel, aluminum?