Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is this a fantasy HJ knife

Article about: Babini ....Please you are not doing us any favors by protecting us from cans of worms and your welcome to post links to those other forums. Post those links and you wont have to say a word R

Quote by den70 View Post
    Babini, please give more photos, it is interesting to study such items.

Fred, you are right to examine this knife carefully. It may have lived with plain plastic linings and someone replaced them with horn linings.

P.S. Sorry to be off topic. Fred check your private messages on WA
    Den, PM sent via WA. Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a fantasy HJ knife
    P
    Many

A couple of other issues to add. Firstly an etched blade can survive 90 years quite well if kept in a scabbard, but an etched steel hilt exposed to the air, damp and handling for 90 years with out blacking and corrosion would be unusual. A close up sharp photo would be very interesting.
    Second thing I see is the stag horn grip plate where the edge close to the crossbar is exposed is very white, like you see with new stag horn grip knives. Old horn yellows over time, this is very white, suggesting to me recent fitting to the knife.

My observation is only that the length of the blade and the grip look so similar that the blade looks too short and stubby to be right. It just looks like a shortened dress dagger with a ridiculously short blade.

?

Well Gents here are my 2 cents.
    Is this style with the floral hilt and the SS motto period, YES it is!

There are a few period Photo's in wear showing the same floral hilt and long guard, no doubt these existed in the early 30th.

better you all read this post

Rare early HJ Bayonet

or this one

HJ Youth Knife CARL WUSTHOF REAL or FANTASY?

i have held 2 of these gladiators in hand, and they were both one lookers....

Best,
    Ger

The question here is more like, is the knife thats been posted here a period original? or a modern copy of an original?
    Looking at the materials used like the gripplate rivets (no sign of any wear) the greyish etch of the hilt the total lack of wear and the blade etch i tend to think that this is not a period original.

More likely an Upgraded knife/bayonet

?

I've been gone awhile. Those are the only photos that were sent to me. I didn't post the links because there is nothing substantial in any of the other forum discussions, just two camps of opinions like the DJ knife discussions. My only take away from discussions like these is that Jim Atwood is the Judas Iscariot of the 3R edged weapon hobby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2