Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help please

Article about: I picked this up over the weekend. Scabbard is rough but the knife is good. Vet bring back without documentation. There were several other items from the same farm is poor storage condition.

Default Hitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help please

I picked this up over the weekend. Scabbard is rough but the knife is good. Vet bring back without documentation. There were several other items from the same farm in poor storage condition. 2 US helmets and one US bayonet. All found in the grandpa's barn as the story goes. Again no provenance.
    My main question that would like some assistance with is the numbers 5815 scratched on the scabbard. Same number on both sides. I could not find another example looking like this. Is the thought these were applied by the GI or later? The shoelace is also interesting as the retainer strap is gone. No way to tell when that was put on but it has been on there for a while. Anton Winger must have produced many of them as I found quite a few examples. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thank you for looking.
    John

Hitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help pleaseHitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler Jugend M7/51 Anton Wingen help please
    P
    Many

Nice pick up John...great HJ Knife.
    Sorry I dont have any knowledge about the number on the scabbard and thoughts from the other collectors may shed some light on that.
    The Shoelace may or may not of been period done but I like the idea of it being a retainer replacement.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry.
    Bump for thoughts & opinions on the number scratched in.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 10-01-2020 at 04:51 PM.

I can't say I've seen another with the numbers scratched into the scabbard. But I would think it is more likely a post war addition. Those scratched numbers might attract the wrath of an HJ leader. What do they mean? Perhaps a son of a veteran added his phone number before taking the knife to school camp?

Thank you Anderson. I was fully suspecting a post war creation since I did not find another example like it but I suppose most would not show it either. Kind of embarrassing but now I know a little more. Much appreciated.
    John

?

Nice enough hj by Wingen, the numbers scratched into the scabbard look as if they have been there a long time & may be the hj members ID number, do not discount them as post added until proven otherwise imo.