Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941

Article about: Hello. Today I am showing a transitional HJ knife from a rare maker C. Heidelberg. At first glance, the knife looks very good. After a little research and a closer look, as always, questions

?

Default HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941

Hello. Today I am showing a transitional HJ knife from a rare maker C. Heidelberg. At first glance, the knife looks very good. After a little research and a closer look, as always, questions and red flags arise. There are two things that make me think that the knife has undergone some kind of intervention.
    In the correct examples I have looked at, the grip rivets have correctly rounded heads. The rivets on this example have a bump on top and the head is not properly rounded. A poor fit of the plastic grip plates is also noted. This confirms a possible replacement of the plastic grip plates.
    A repainted scabbard is also possible.
    Please give your opinion!
    Thanks Georgi.HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941
    P
    Many

Scabbard has been repainted, which always suggests there could be other enhancements. I'm not sure I can see the rivet head problem you raise. But on the reverse side the rivet closest to finger guard has been whacked a few times. Quite a bit of plating wear on pommel, but grip places show no wear and as you point out, not a great fit. Could be replaced grips.

?

Thanks for the reply.
    Here is a photo of a correct example with correct rivets. this one is an early version, but the other examples that I looked at, the rivets are like that. The diamond is correct on the first example I have shown, but much more worn than the grip plates.

HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941HJ knife CARL HEIDELBERG RZM M7/65 1941

?

Hello.
    I am leaving this HJ knife for another collection.
    Georgi.

?

If you magnify the picture of the grip with diamond, there is a slight "void" in the grip pattern just to the right and slightly below the "Eastern" point of the diamond. The same "void" can be seen at the bottom of page 696 of Nathan Hogle's book, which covers this maker and year. Maybe the grips just came loose and a previous owner tried to tighten the rivets.

The flaws in the makers mark on the blade in the book also seem to match the makers mark on this blade.

Just an amateurs 2c worth.

?

Hello.
    The blade is perfect. That's what I made this thread for. The book you mentioned shows examples in worse condition, but all have correct rivets and a good fit to the grip plates.
    Regards Georgi.