Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint

Article about: Hello all, I thought I would share this HJ knife by Zeitler, Wien. I would love to get your opinions -- as with most things in near-mint condition a little doubt tends to gnaw at me regardin

?

Default HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint

Hello all,

I thought I would share this HJ knife by Zeitler, Wien. I would love to get your opinions -- as with most things in near-mint condition a little doubt tends to gnaw at me regarding authenticity, though from others I've seen and what I've read it seems good.

Photos are full-sized, so you can click to zoom in, I believe.

HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint

HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint
    P
    Many

Interesting. This should generate a bit of debate. Lugwig Zeitler at Wien was a known maker of the HJ knife but volume must be very small. I would have expected the maker stamp on the back to be "L.ZEITLER-WIEN", I have some concern about the rivets and a general wariness of anything Austrian in that post war manufacture of TR era materials did occur, see Rudolf Souval. Any maker mark on the snap button?

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Any maker mark on the snap button?
    Yes, maker-marked 'Stocko'.

I also agree with Anderson as this would be the 2nd RZM type seen by this producer and should have the letter "L" ..and first time seeing the period mark between the M and the 7

I would also like to hear more thoughts from Stingray..Gerrit and Mac66
    are the grip rivets alluminum?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    are the grip rivets alluminum?
    They certainly appear to be, Larry.

?

Here are my 2 cents:

Anderson has a few questions about this knife that are more then legit when you ask me.
    What concerns me:
    Button on press side has 4 pressure release cuts, to me a huge red flag, as these are modern made, the Stocko fonts are different on period ones.
    This for example is a huge give away and seen on the recent flood of repro army dagger horseshoe hangers, made partly of old stock strap en recently made parts.
    Why is the leather strap looking not only looking brand new, has no rounded corners and seems to be on the thin side?
    Why suddenly add a dot behind the M. in the logo?
    Why do these 39 knive lack the letter L. on the Zeitner marking?
    Why they suddenly moved to alu rivets? why do suddenly pop up more prestine Zeitner 39 knives?

All these questions leads to following:
    Would i feel comfortable with this knife in my collection?
    the answer is NO

If someone feels comfortable with a knife like this, well be my gast.
    I rather stick to what i know for sure is period, and this one doesnt meet my standards.

Ger

Great point about the Stocko clasp & strap. Damning points really, strongly suggests post war.

Yeah,sorry to say that,but it looks like a repro .
    Here is a maker mark and grip with diamond how spouse to look like.
    Even the maker mark is off big time
    HJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near MintHJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near MintHJ Knife, M7/104 (Zeitler, Wien) - Near Mint

That's why get a good reference book before start with expensive stuff

?

Thanks for all the responses - much appreciated!

?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    Yes, maker-marked 'Stocko'.

here for example the Repro Horseshoe hanger, compare the contra rivet

Ger