Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

HJ knive; Blued Scabbards

Article about: I have noticed most HJ daggers seem to have a black painted scabbard. But some are blued. My question is did blueing only occur with certain companies or on early knives? Secondly can a date

Here briefly the development for how the scabbard had to be "blackened":

according to "Bekleidung und Ausrüstung", the first official description,
    published by the Reichsjugendführung from January 15, 1934: schwarzlackiert (black lacquered)
    This was done so with the introduction in 1933.

according to the "Mitteilungsblatt der RZM", number 25 from September 14, 1935: schwarz brünieren
    The scabbard was "burnished/browned" with brüniersalz until it looked black. Occasionally - when one did not follow the
    correct procedures - the black may look somewhat brownish.
    And as schwarz brünieren it was described in the 1936 RZM Herstellungsvorschriften.

according to the same periodical, but number 13 from June 19, 1937
    atramentieren = Stahl zur Verhütung von Korrosion u. Rostbildung mit einer Oxid- od. Phosphatschicht überziehen
    (schwarze Flüssigkeit] (Metallverarb.): (Stahl) mit einem korrosionsbeständigen Schutzüberzug aus Manganphosphat überziehen).

according the 1938 RZM "Herstellungsvorschriften" (manufacturing-regulations): schwarz lackieren (black lacquered)
    In fact this was done since 1937. In 1938 was added the word "brennen" (burned)!

From issue 2 from February 20, 1943 from the "Mitteilungsblatt der Reichszeugmeisterei":

HJ daggers were not to be manufactured anymore. No new announcements were published about the HJ dagger
    after this date. The DUZ-magazine from May 31, 1943 tells more about it (see second part of the announcement).

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 12-20-2016 at 09:17 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ knive; Blued Scabbards
    P
    Many

Wilhelm, Once again my Sincere Thanks for all of your period input . And I will try to lock it into my memory bank that it's lacquer (1933), bluing (1935-36), and back to lacquer again in 1937-38 with the best fitting IMO English word translation for "brennen" probably being "baked" - as in baked on with heat lamps or some other comparable method. With the word brüniersalz very close to the term 'bluing salts' that is still used today. And the phosphate finish I referred to earlier Bondern as in - mit Bonder-Chemikalien which is different than the black manganese phosphate finish we use now, or the gray zinc phosphate that we used in WW II. Posting an image of late period WW II German phosphate along with the blued version from one period maker. Thanks Again for all of your help, with my Best Regards. Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ knive; Blued Scabbards  

Thread pinned at the top ! Thankyou gentlemen
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Here are 3 pieces:

HJ knive; Blued ScabbardsHJ knive; Blued ScabbardsHJ knive; Blued Scabbards

gr
    mx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2