Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please

Article about: Hey guys, just got my hands on this knife and was wondering if it's real? I've read a lot about how to spot fakes and watched a few videos already, but I'm new to this and don't have much co

Default Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please

Hey guys, just got my hands on this knife and was wondering if it's real? I've read a lot about how to spot fakes and watched a few videos already, but I'm new to this and don't have much confidence in my new skills.

So what do you guys think about this knife? Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me something about this.
    Need help with a Hitler Youth knife pleaseNeed help with a Hitler Youth knife pleaseNeed help with a Hitler Youth knife pleaseNeed help with a Hitler Youth knife pleaseNeed help with a Hitler Youth knife please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please
    P
    Many

Some close up photos of motto, maker marks and rivets would be helpful. The ricasso seems over long, but could be optical illusion

Also use no direct flash.....direct flash will wash out any detail that needs to be seen.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

matthew,

Welcome to the forum, and if I may offer you some advice... Since you state you are "new to this" before you purchase anything I would recommend posting images here prior to purchase in case the item is fake. Sadly too many new collectors don't take heed to the advice only to find out afterwards their items are fake and even worse,, they cannot get refunded their money..

I agree 100% with Anderson that you will need more photos of any makers marks, close up of the engraving (without the glare), the handle, the HJ emblem, the scabbard, etc.

The image of the scabbard may be the photography and the angle it was taken but I think I am seeing where it may have been repainted...

Hope this helps.

Smitty

Thank you guys for helping me out! Thank you Rakkasan187 for the tips. Luckily I haven't bought anything yet. It's a friends knife who asked me if I'm interested. So if it's not real I just give it back to him.

I did some photos without flash trying to capture everything as good as I can. I noticed this strange seam on the inside of the crossguard. Seems pretty odd to me? If you need more/better photos just let me know!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please   Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please  

Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please   Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please  

Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please   Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please  

Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please  

Much better photos, but I have concerns that the rivets are not original, being a total dome head without the small circular flat top typically seen. One is quite deeply set. I also suspect the motto has been re-etched or engraved. If the rivets are replacements, then the diamond is likely an addition. The long ricasso is seen with some post war scout knives, but I'm not aware if Mandewirth was producing knives post war and don't recall seeing other Mandewirth high ricasso HJ knives.
    Could be have a photo of the rear grip plate?

Something is not right with the scabbard.. I don't like the leather for some reason...It looks very fresh.. I could be wrong but it looks very recently made..

Smitty

Here are two photos of the backside of the rear grip plate. But after all your answers and information I got from you guys I think I just give it back to my friend. There are too many things going on with this knife.
    I will find a much better and original knife. I have mainly collected coins and books from the war period yet and thought this would be a good opportunity to get a start in this field, but it's not the right knife to start my collection with.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please   Need help with a Hitler Youth knife please  

Last edited by matthew0511; 05-25-2024 at 07:16 AM.

Hi Mathew thankyou for posting the extra requested photos

the knife is a total postwar creation from what I can see and I will add to what Anderson has already pointed out.

First I reviewed into Nathan Hogles HJ reference and there are no other examples to be seen except an early" no ricasso " example and showing a slightly smaller producer logo.

Both the logo and motto are post war applied ..which is very obvious of how deep the etch is ...normally we do not see deep etches on HJ knives ..none like what has been posted above.
    I would say this is a post war made knife possible by a period German producer still in business today and someone added the motto and logo to the blade.

2 flaws commonly seen on these Mandewirth knives are the absence of the mid stem of the letter "H" in MANDEWIRTH < ...and also in the Letter "E" in SOLINGEN.

Also just to throw it out there if anyone thinks this producer had an RZM permit ....Ernst had 2 permits and has not benefited from neither M7/20 and also M7/89

M7/20 was issued October 1 1934 and was withdrawn in Feburary 18 1936
    M7/89 was issued October 22 1938 and was never used.

You did well Mathew returning this knife to your friend
    More thoughts and comments welcome.

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-26-2024 at 06:03 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The blade tip is also a symetrical spear shape in contrast to the offset tip of the TR era transitional knives. I agree with Larry, most likely a refurbished post war unmarked Scout knife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast