Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Peter Lungstrass HJ knife - Info Request

Article about: My grandfather recently gifted me this knife and I was wondering if you guys couple provide any info on it. The knife is about 5 inches long and has a marking of P. LungStrass Soungen-Ohligs

Default Peter Lungstrass HJ knife - Info Request

My grandfather recently gifted me this knife and I was wondering if you guys couple provide any info on it. The knife is about 5 inches long and has a marking of P. LungStrass Soungen-Ohligs on it.

Originally I had planned on using it as a hiking knife (mountain lions are an issue out here) so I'd cleaned it up with some isopropyl alcohol before I'd realized it was nazi-germany relic. Knife also appears to be de-nazified, that was like that when I received it.

I'll update on where my grandfather acquired the knife when I next get ahold of him after he's done with his vacation.

Any info you can provide is appreciated thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Peter Lungstrass HJ knife - Info Request
    P
    Many

Hi Tempuser..you pretty much answered your own question as this knife is period and is denazified.

The blade tip was cut and altered ..the crossguard arm broken off and the HJ Diamond removed.

Unless you are Ron Ely ( aka Tarzan ) ..you better get a bigger knife or a very large calibre gun if you think you can take down a mountain lion with this knife.

Its a shame though the producer Peter Lungstrass is not a commonly seen HJ producer and is very desirable among HJ collectors.
    I think you called it and I would say you could use it as a hiking knife as the irreparable damage has already been done that this knife was what it was and is no more.

No value can be placed on its present condition...but if found original untouched...it would of been worth near 1k in near mint condition.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for such a quick response Larry C. I was wondering if you could give a best guess on age. I don't really know much of anything about HJ knives but from poking around the forum my guess is that it is an earlier knife.

Production year around 1933 to 1935. ...on or about 84 years old.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Now that's a real heart breaker! Ashame it was altered but back in the 50s-60s these items were not valuable like today. It will however become a treasured keepsake from a loved one. Thanks for sharing.

Larry C, thanks. One last question, I still plan on using the knife as a wilderness hiking/camping knife. How should I go about getting a non-swastica replacement inlet for the handle?

MAP
    ?

You could try looking for a "scouts" emblem but I think it will be near impossible to find as I think they were made in the 60's. See link below of an example I have (post 13).

hj dagger

That said, you won't be able to remove the grips and you would need to glue it in.

I would think a modern camping / hunting knife would be much more practical. Or as Larry said, a nice large caliber handgun (357 Mag and up....). I wouldn't want to get close enough to a mountain lion to have to use a knife.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)