Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?

Article about: I picked this up today on a whim, the store owners were unable to determine if it was real. What do you guys think?

Exclamation Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?

I picked this up today on a whim, the store owners were unable to determine if it was real. What do you guys think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?   Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?  

Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?   Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a real 1940 HJ Knife?
    P
    Many

By no means an expert, but apart from the disappointment of the lack of etching on the blade I would say it's original. The Stocko popper snaps are a known TR era manufacturer. Others will opine on the RZM marks.

W.K.C., Waffenfabrik Weyers, Kirschbaum & Co, Solingen-Wald. I see no red flags and as the shop could not tell you much, I guess and hope the price was fine?
    Also for me counts: no expert. The checker board pattern check is the first thing I look for and that looks promissing. Does the diamond wiggle a little or is it stuck?

All looks original WKC with a lot of plating loss, I wonder whats been going on with the grips? rivet missing & appear to be melted ? in places. Unless cheap there are plenty of better ones out there. Regards Paul

I also agree with the thoughts posted above ..but the grip is questionable and dont know what that substance is on the grip if its glue or something else?

My question was the grip cracked or damaged at some point and that substance is glue? Hard to say .
    Wait for Moderator Anderson to chime in...but overall as a 1940 RZM example...the rest of the details are correct from what I can see.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This is an update for what I assumed to have happened to the knife. At some point the grips had broken off, and were either plastic welded back together or were put back together with JB weld. The diamond does wiggle when pressed, it has the regulars split pin backing. Felt like a good price at 80 USD

Yes, I think you made a good deal, this condition is no problem for $80!
    A good find, and the seller probably thought he was selling you a reproduction.
    'No idea if it is good or fake' mostly means: I know darn good it is a fake, but do you?

A bargain and there might be a chance of a little restoration, I don't know.
    I am happy for you, nice find!

It may have been messed with, possibly the grip broke while attempt was made to fit the diamond. The maker marks are particularly deeply struck, which bothers me a little. other examples from this maker I've seen were not. I'm not sure if it's a parts construction of authentic and post war bits, or an abandoned project, but at the price not much damage either way.

?

IMO refitted diamond, sloppy job that cracked the gripplates, either bu denazifying or to replace a damaged one.

Stocko is well known on originals, but now a days the fakes are made with Stocko marked rivets.

Ger