MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration

Article about: Hey guys, I have a question. I just picked up a Rare Hitler Youth Miniature Leaders Dagger. Hard to find item. The general condition is that it is all there, but pretty rough. The question I

?

Default What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration

Hey guys, I have a question. I just picked up a Rare Hitler Youth Miniature Leaders Dagger. Hard to find item. The general condition is that it is all there, but pretty rough. The question I have is that I would like suggestions on how to proceed. I have plenty of experience at restoring Daggers and a good stock of replacement parts, so there is no problems with what I can do with it, but what do you guys think.

My options are te following;

#1 Clean it up but leave it alone otherwise.

#2 Repair the wire as much as I can and stabilize all the rust.

#3 Just Replace the grip wire completely and leave the rest alone.

#4 Do a complete restoration and polish out all the fittings and scabbard.

So, What do you think I should do with it.

SAMann

What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration
    What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What Would You Do? .. HJ Leader miniature dagger restoration
    P
    Many

?

My view is once you start messing with it and replacing items it's nolonger original. I would clean and preserve. Nice dagger

?

I agree with the above, clean it and preserve to prevent further deterioration but don't start changing what it is. It has it's value both in terms of history and money for what it is and how it is, trying to restore and change it will make it something it isn't.
    It's nice as it is, taking it apart may cause irreparable damage, the corrosion may have welded parts together that can't be separated without breaking things.
    Enjoy it for what it is and as the custodian, preserve it, don't change it.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I would say clean enough to prevent further damage and leave as is. Looks kind of rough but actually in pretty good shape compared to rarity IMHO.
    John

If you have that kind of restoration talent and is kept only within your personal collection and you are happy with your work..I congratulate you.

Piecing together daggers ( not saying you are doing this but putting it out there ) and from an abundance of parts and reselling them as authentic .....further corrupts the hobby which I myself and many others have a problem with.
    I am hopeful its for your own collection that you are restoring these historical artifacts.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'd treat it with CarWell CP90. Let it sit for 3 days so the inhibitor is absorbed, wipe it down and then retreat it again.

The rust oxides will come free w/out using abrasion and further corrosion will be halted. It looks like the tang has a good bit of oxides below the wire, so you might get more of the oxides lifting free from the tang. Just wipe that away.

Check it about 6 months if you see any new orange oxides, which should not appear, treat it again.

The corrosion pits will darked some but at least the blade will be free of scratches and abrasion marks.

As long as the dagger is kept out of the weather and humidity you should get a year or 18 months at least before treatment is needed again.

Do not use CarWell on the leather! The scabbard fittings should not have rust oxides on them, I'd use RenWax to preserve that as well as the scabbard fittings.

You might find after a few treatments the threaded fittings might become freed. I'd not mess with it to insure nothing snaps or breaks.