Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

84/98 with number stamped crossguard

Article about: Many Thanks to Sleepwalker and Frogprince I have seen the Fin SA stamped 84/98 and also Norweign modified 84/98 with US type of pistol belt attachment to the scabbard. Also some of them are

Default 84/98 with number stamped crossguard

I am mainly trying to see if anyone knows what the number five means stamped on the crossguard of this FNJ 40 84/98. I don't know it could be some kind of property mark bayonet is a military one with Waa. Any help appreciated. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 84/98 with number stamped crossguard   84/98 with number stamped crossguard  

84/98 with number stamped crossguard   84/98 with number stamped crossguard  

84/98 with number stamped crossguard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 84/98 with number stamped crossguard
    P
    Many

Default Re: 84/98 with number stamped crossguard

Interesting to see Timothy,,first time I encountered one but it looks period. It may be possible as QC stamping but not sure. I know that Eickhorn QC randomly Stamped numbers ranging from 1-10 beneath their crossguards...but I say randomly as not all Eickhorn SA and SS daggers have this......with this being said...and maybe im talking off the top of my head...that this may be similar numbering or a re-issue number...........LOL but Sleepwalker and Fred ..im sure would have abetter explanation. The bayonet itself is in good condition the crossguard looks a bit chewed up on one side. The frog looks great and evenly worn. Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 07-24-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry good points I hope Sleepwalker and Frogprince weigh in. timothy

Hallo,

at the Moment i haven´t any explanation.

Is there a corresponding number on the scabbard?

Regards

None on scabbard Sleepwalker. timothy

does the serialnumbers of Seitengewehr und scabbard match?

Sometimes with German Police bayonets that were not factory numbered, you might see an added serial number that could be just a few digits up to four, although I imagine that there could be some single digit ones out there. And I’ve seen a few early period Wehrmacht reworks that had an added number that might range from one to three digits. But this bayonet in places looks like it might be an original early high polish example instead of a rework. A mystery, with the key possibly being as Sleepwalker asked - is the scabbard matching? Regards to all, Fred

No there is no matching no to the scabbard. Bayonet must have wound up in scabbard. I don't know if correct Wheeler shows a single no 6 on crossguard as a police property no. I don't think he shows a scabbard with it though. To add further mystery scabbard is not marked and must be a commercial scabbard. So I guess bayonet wound up in possibly not its correct scabbard? tiimothy

Police bayontes are known with added numbers on the crossguard and the blade. But this were police contract bayontes, not typical WaA contracts.

It is not easy to so. In the most cases it will be a past 1945 number for example in Norway. Also finnland gets S84/98, but most stamped with "SA".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 84/98 with number stamped crossguard   84/98 with number stamped crossguard  

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Police bayontes are known with added numbers on the crossguard and the blade. But this were police contract bayontes, not typical WaA contracts.

It is not easy to so. In the most cases it will be a past 1945 number for example in Norway. Also finnland gets S84/98, but most stamped with "SA".
    Hello, No argument with the German Police bayonets being governmentally approved contracts, with perhaps a look at what they did with pistols showing another perspective: P. 08 (Luger) pistols with the commercial “Mauser Banner” marking and the Police acceptance stamp. A wartime P. 38 using the German Army code “byf” and a Police acceptance stamp - as well as the “commercial” proof and Waffenamts. And a fairly large number of smaller size (and caliber) “pocket pistols” with what are considered by pistol collectors as “commercial” markings along with the Police markings. With the distinction here being that pistols with the “commercial” logos were also sold privately to military officers and some others, whereas the combat type of bayonet was not sold to individauls.

With bayonets from Norway in my experience being a “mixed bag” of period with some in very nice original condition. Some period reworks that were sent there also in good condition, and some that had been heavily used by the Norwegians, as well as others that were modified by them. With Finland and the Suomen Armeija (“SA”) marking not unknown to U.S. collectors (and Canada) because of the imports that were reported to have started in the 1950‘s. Such as the Italian 7.35mm Modello 1938 “Terni carbines” (including the bayonets), Russian Tokarev rifles, likewise the Mosin–Nagants, as well as pistols and other military items. With Finland acquiring a relatively small number of Mauser rifles after WW I, only to sell them to Poland so it could acquire more Mosin–Nagants. Acquiring later a very small number of Kar 98k rifles during WW II because they could be fitted with grenade launchers (a little over 500 were ordered, with roughly only 20% issued, and reportedly scrapped in 1945). With the largest group perhaps being the almost 80,000 Swedish M 1896 Mausers that were in 6.5 x 55mm. Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast