Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

98k Seitengewehr portuguese army

Article about: Good day, I got this Seitengewehr which I assume was made in Germany before the war and was intended for the portugiese army. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know the condotion is not the

Default 98k Seitengewehr portuguese army

Good day, I got this Seitengewehr which I assume was made in Germany before the war and was intended for the portugiese army. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I know the condotion is not the best. My question is should I disassamble the wooden habdle and clean it or leave ot as is. Maybe you know something else.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 98k Seitengewehr portuguese army   98k Seitengewehr portuguese army  

98k Seitengewehr portuguese army   98k Seitengewehr portuguese army  

98k Seitengewehr portuguese army  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 98k Seitengewehr portuguese army
    P
    Many

Yes, looks like a Portugal contract S84/98. It has the WaA marks, serial number on crossguard is the type normally seen. Can you read the WaA number? WaA253 is from the 1937 contract, WaA883 on the 1941 contract, and WaA519 1942 contract.
    I wouldn't try to "restore" it, "it is what it is"
    Where there is a crossguard serial number the contract was delivered to Portugal. Some were not delivered and diverted to German authorities during WW2

?

This is a so called Mo937 early contract for Portugal, realised with Kar98k rifles marked S/42 1937, the bayonet was serialed to rifle. I would only oil the grips screw, the blueing is only in remains on blade. But this was not reworked in postwar Portugal.

Thanks for this informations, so that confirms my suspicion.
    Yes the number of the WaA stamp is 253 with an old eagle. I think I'll just stop the rost at the grips scraw and oil a bit so as not to damage anything further. Maybe someday I'll find a suitable screw for the scabbard. This will definitely be harder than finding a frog.

?

M3,5mm screw with cylindrical head would help on it.