Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell

Article about: Hello, I would like to present you a bayonet of the 2nd model from German production for the German paratrooper rifle 42. It does not really fit into this category but unfortunately there is

Default Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell

Hello,

I would like to present you a bayonet of the 2nd model from German production for the German paratrooper rifle 42.

It does not really fit into this category but unfortunately there is nothing suitable (here again my suggestion to rename this category to "German bayonets", moreover the name is wrong anyway).

These bayonets are quite rare and unfortunately there are many fakes in circulation. Overall, just under 7,500 FG42s were manufactured by Rheinmetall and Krieghoff. Accordingly, a few bayonets were produced. However, quantities are not known.
    The bayonet was always guided on the FG42. Therefore there is no sheath or carrying device.

This bayonet is rather exotic for German WW2 naked weapons, since it is a real bayonet (circular blade, spout, no handle, etc.) and not a classic Seitengewehr. The concept became necessary due to the construction of the FG42 and the weight.

A total of 3 models are said to exist for the FG42. The first, probably an experimental run, shortened captured French Mle. MAS36 bayonets.

The first model made in Germany has a narrower ribbed middle rib of approx. 10mm and a approx. 21cm long blade.

The second model from German production was further simplified.

The bayonet is forged from one piece. The bayonet for french served as a model here. MAS36.

Instead of a corrugated ring, it has only a simple smooth rib for better handling.

The handle is also shorter overall. There is a cavity / sleeve in the handle. The locking mechanism is housed in it.

The sleeve is closed with a simple metal plate, which was grained on the edges.

There are 2 variants here. Firstly with 4x1 grain points and then (as here) with 4x2 grain points.

On original pieces you will also find two stamps on the locking mechanism. On the front pin a "2" and on the back the manufacturer code "gcy" for
    "L. O. Dietrich, Vesta Nähmaschinenwerke, Altenburg". It is unknown whether Dietrich made the entire bayonet or just the inside.

Most of the time the maker's stamp is badly or weakly stamped. For some, however, the stamp was good enough to be able to read it without a doubt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell   Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell  

Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell   Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell  

Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell   Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell
    P
    Many

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell   Bajonett for the FG42, second German Modell  

Hi Sleepwalker ...a very interesting bayonet type and would agree also that it does differentiate from the other bayonet types.
    Unfortunately to rename the Forum title to German Bayonets will detract from the Forums main title which includes those edged weapons produced during the Third Reich period.

Yet it will attract all German bayonet types from Imperial to Post WW1 ..which we already have a category for and do not want to flood this forum with posts from other designated sub forums.
    The best I can do is to Pin your thread to the top of this forum for easier access for the community.

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

An interesting and rare model, thanks for posting it SW.

My thanks also to Sleepwalker for bringing this topic forward. I've had the opportunity to handle and examine several FG42's and found the design to be a fascinating approach to that type of weapons system - but regrettably no chance to actually test it as compared some others. Probably the closest being the U.S. M1941 Johnson rifles and light machine guns (with a very different operating system) that saw some use in WW2. The Germans of course not stopping in designing weapons systems their approach (with a more limited power cartridge) ultimately resulted in what is now more or less a world standard using some different designs. As for their bayonets, I was so busy studying its operating system and overall design I did not even think about a close examination of bayonets, which I will correct the next time I have the opportunity to do so. Best Regards, Fred

?

How to be sure?
    A company is shortening MAS36 bayonets to fit the FG42:

Hello,

The bayonet at the bottom is a shortened MAS Mle. 1936/52. You can tell by the hole in the handle. Can not be a WW2 modification, since they were only adapted from 1952.

the upper and the middle are good reproductions, but reproductions