Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

battle damaged late war bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone, I bought this bayonet a couple months ago. It's a late war one (1944) made by Paul Weyersburg. It has a waffenamt on the pommel and it still has a lot of the original finish

Default battle damaged late war bayonet

Hello everyone,
    I bought this bayonet a couple months ago. It's a late war one (1944) made by Paul Weyersburg. It has a waffenamt on the pommel and it still has a lot of the original finish left. Here comes my question. The tip is broken and it has some dark spots. A friend of mine said it might be battle damage and remains of blood. I think it will be pretty hard to tell if it is or not but any comments or thought are welcome.

Greets Brambattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonetbattle damaged late war bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement battle damaged late war bayonet
    P
    Many

No I’m afraid not. The staining is just some surface oxidation of the metal and the finish over the metal. The tips of bayonets were sometimes broken off as a form of “deactivation”. You also see blade tips that are flattened as if you stabbed something hard like concrete or metal.

CBH
    ?

Battle damage is caused by battle, bullets or shrapnel, this was caused by prying something.
    This is battle damage on a WWI flare gun I own, note the pitting to the barrel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture battle damaged late war bayonet  

Not battle damage, more likely post war mistreatment by some kid. The tip was probably lost trying to lever open something. Bit of a shame really as otherwise nice late war example.

Thanks for your replies. I already thought that it wasn't battle damage but I just wanted to be sure.

Greetings Bram

?

Same opinion as the blade is hardened, its breakable easy by side pressing or pushing, the opening of a can or similar could caused this, the bayonet is wout tip not usable, this would be a total damage of S84/98.b.r.Andy

?

Here is another "How Did That Happen" answer.
    It was used as a throwing knife and thrown, hit at an angle and Tip sinks in and handle goes off to the side and snapped the tip.

No saying how I know that but have seen it!!!
    Kids do stupid things when these were cheap!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil