Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Feldherrnhalle bayonet

Article about: I am not sure if this type of bayonet has been discussed,,your comments are welcomed...book photos from J.Angolia's book published in 1971 DAGGERS,BAYONETS & FIGHTING KNIVES of HITLER'S

Default Feldherrnhalle bayonet

I am not sure if this type of bayonet has been discussed,,your comments are welcomed...book photos from J.Angolia's book published in 1971 DAGGERS,BAYONETS & FIGHTING KNIVES of HITLER'S GERMANY PAGE 290.........Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldherrnhalle  bayonet   Feldherrnhalle  bayonet  

Feldherrnhalle  bayonet   Feldherrnhalle  bayonet  

Last edited by SADolch; 08-03-2011 at 12:00 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldherrnhalle  bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Feldherrnhalle bayonet

We must remember that the Atwood book is full of items Jim Atwood had created for the collector market.
    back in the day when this book came out, dress bayonets were $5.00! I would proceed with great caution. The Atwood stuff will show age as it is now well over 40 years old.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    We must remember that the Atwood book is full of items Jim Atwood had created for the collector market.
    back in the day when this book came out, dress bayonets were $5.00! I would proceed with great caution. The Atwood stuff will show age as it is now well over 40 years old.
    Bob,
    This photo is in John Angolia's book not Jim Atwood.s book ???????
    Dave H

Quote by SADolch View Post
    Bob,
    This photo is in John Angolia's book not Jim Atwood.s book ???????
    Dave H
    Sorry! So much for my ability with speed reading. At least I got the initials correct!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Dave,

This bayonet was misidentified as having an affiliation with the Feldherrenhalle. I believe their true purpose was for students at the NS school at Feldafing. I forget who made the connection (probably Tom Johnson) but it was based on an order form obtained from the original files of the Eickhorn firm when they went bankrupt in the 1970's. It is a scarcely seen etch pattern usually having the Eickhorn '35-'41 maker mark although I understand Wayne Techet had a pair of this model bayonet with the Henckels logo.

One note of caution, this pattern has been faked in the past & it's not that difficult a pattern to reproduce considering some of the "quality" work coming out of the former Eastern Bloc nowadays. I've also seen the occasional reproduction on Eban.

Can you post a shot of the maker mark & under the leather blade buffer?

Hi Billy G, I recently moved and the bayo is packed away,as soon as i get settled in, I will take photo's of the logo and under the buffer......Dave H

I'll try to post pics of mine soon too. Like yours, it's packed away.

Hello,

I really don't know what to think of such dress bayonet.

Generally speaking, it's a regular dress beayonet with a black patent leather bag that was mass-produced and could be bought by anyone. Nothing official.
    Here's the engraving.

I can't objectively judge if it's real. I personally don't think so.

The saying "Ehre, Kraft, Freiheit" = honor, strength, liberty has nothing to do with the Feldherrnhalle but was the slogan of the
    NSDAP Reichsschule in Feldafing.

Regards

Actually, I would say it is an etching rather than an engraving based on what we can see here. I've taken a look in my copy of Angolia's book and the script is not identical, meaning it was not from the same hand as the Angolia example. As Billy said these were faked as every other design was also. There are plenty of examples of KS98 bayonets with personalized engraved names and that's not surprising when you consider these bayonets may well have been sold in jeweler's shops and for a small fee they would engrave a name or motto for you. An etching involves a lot more preparation and would only be undertaken for numerous copies to be made. But for this etching and for the one in Angolia's book, we can't be sure just when it was created.