Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help with etched baynoet

Article about: Hi Guys, what do you think of this bayonet? Unforntunatly I did not find it in Techet's book but I like the etch actually - it seems of very good quality. WKC did not have this etch or at le

?

Default Help with etched baynoet

Hi Guys,

what do you think of this bayonet? Unforntunatly I did not find it in Techet's book but I like the etch actually - it seems of very good quality. WKC did not have this etch or at least it is not in Techet's book. Thoughts?Help with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoetHelp with etched baynoet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with etched baynoet
    P
    Many

?

Looks like LW etch, most real with Stuka Junkers 87, the volutes could be from Klaas etch, the WKC is correct with scabbard, and brown extra frog which was typical for LW prior 1940.

It's a fake cut and paste design, using Robt Klaas swirling "bookends" and a Stuka design known with Klaas. Secondly there was no business realtionship between WKC and Klaas with regards use of etchings. In short this etching should not be on a WKC KS98. WKC was supplied with designs by FW Holler company exclusively. There is some errors in the left side swirling vines that would not be found on a Klaas etching, so bad etching on wrong maker blade.
    Last edited by Anderson; 07-02-2023 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Additional point

?

Thanks both, I saw that business realtionship chart in techets book as well but the etch looked very good. Always asked myself if some soldiers actually went to the manufacturer themself to get an etch of their choosing with their exisintg bayonet. But you are right, if in doubt don't buy but this one seemed interesting.

?

I am not expert on etches, should be looked at books and comparable pieces, the panel lines are done well, anyway it could be postwar etch offcoarse. By Klaas etches i would expect a Ges.Gesch. on side of panel by other maker.

In actual fact there are errors in the etch design which has been simplified in the swirling vine side panels. Some obvious errors a Solingen master etcher would not permit. You need to know what to look for to comment on etchings. I'll post some images later to indicate good versus bad. This is a very rare design perhaps made only a handful of times. When any irregularity is spotted, the wise action is to avoid the purchase.

The Good, Stuka etch side panel from a Techet example;

Help with etched baynoet

The Bad, from the OP's example, same left panel, but a fake.

Help with etched baynoet

Notice the slight differences in the lower swirling design. Notice the disconnected vine above the "Zur" in the lower fake one.
    The more you look the more errors you will see.
    Last edited by Anderson; 07-03-2023 at 09:31 AM.