Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Information needed

Article about: Greetings all, I am new to collecting and recently purchased the bayonet seen in the photographs below. I am hoping someone could provide me with some more information about it. Or advise me

Default Information needed

Greetings all,

I am new to collecting and recently purchased the bayonet seen in the photographs below. I am hoping someone could provide me with some more information about it. Or advise me how to conduct further research on it. Going by the patina I think it's WW2 era and possibly German?? It looks similar to bayonets from this time that I have seen in historical photographs. Looking forward to learning more about it.

Information neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation neededInformation needed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Information needed
    P
    Many

?

It's a German WW2 period S84/98 combat bayonet. Can't comment on authenticity but it looks good to me. It's unmatching though, the scabbard is made by Coppel GMBH (S/173) while the rest is made by Berg & Co (S/242).

Thank you for the prompt reply Tobias. Great information!

Regards,
    MadameVoltaire

I don't see it here in the images, but I strongly suspect that there are two digits on the back edge of the bayonet's blade that indicate the year it was manufactured. Also thinking that the Bakelite grip plates may be replacements. PS: S/242 originally the number code for Solinger Axt u. Hauerwork, later it was renamed as indicated becoming Berg & Co. Best Regards, Fred

Hello,

An original German bayonet and scabbard. Although not matching in numbers, they are both original parts in my opinion. Enjoy the hobby! Some great knowledge in this forum!

?

S/242 should be dated on spine of blade near crossguard, 36 or 37, grips were replaced as normally early production should be wood not bakelit material.

Hi,

The scabbard and S84 / 98 are original but do not match.

A revision from the period after 1945 is not recognizable.

The condition is `heavily used´

Regards