Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy

Article about: K98 bayonets were refurbished for use by the "Iron Curtain" Eastern European countries such as the East German DDR, Czech and Yugoslavs in the immediate post war years. It's not th

Default Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy

K98 bayonets were refurbished for use by the "Iron Curtain" Eastern European countries such as the East German DDR, Czech and Yugoslavs in the immediate post war years. It's not that easy to be precise as to which country did the work as the cross border supply to other communist states was possible. And marks are usually absent except with Yugoslav versions.

The following Eastern European refurbished K98 bayonet from my collection displays most of the identifying features. This bayonet is a "44 pyy" marked bayonet with a scabbard marked "44 ddl" (Josiah Corts). It may be DDR, but I not sure if anyone can be certain. We do know the Volkspolizei did use the K98 rifle so presumably the bayonet as well. Things to note are the deep black bluing, wood grips (though 44 pyy bayos did have wood grips, these might have been replaced). Other features that identify post war work is the alloy rivet in the scabbard and the replaced flashguard with a "waffle" pattern and scabbards were often mismatched.

"44 pyy" was the Berg & Co maker of Solingen, and this code was only used in 1944. More common is Berg's other code of "agv".

This bayonet (unlike another I had which was unissued condition), does actually seem to have been issued. Bluing wear is around the pommel and parts of blade. On the post war flashguard it has small round marks that look like to tack marks from the bayonet being used as a hammer to post notices. Similar marks are found on Weimar/TR Polizei bayonets, and may suggest, it was used by a Police unit. The blade is unsharpened and slight rust pitting marks near blade tip are under the blue.

Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyyIron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyyIron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyyIron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyyIron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyyIron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyyIron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy

Photo of DDR Volkspolizei with a K98 rifle along with MP44Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy
    P
    Many

A good example of this type bayonet my best recollection is that East Germany is the probable source for these types of reworks. Of course AndyB may have some new information which I'm OK with - if it turns out to be somebody else.
    This thread reminding me of an ex-VOPO pistol I once had that malfunctioned and spread parts of itself over a mountainside never be seen again. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, but it did make me wonder about how much the theoretical "standards" of the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR) workers of that time under the Soviets had taken a turn for the worse. Best Regards, Fred

?

Its a DDR refurbishment as likely mentioned, the wood grips could be already replacements by them, b.r.Andy

?

Default refurbed bayonet

Hello guys .I have a very similar bayonet ,but has a small eagle stamped on the spine ,regards Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy   Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy  

Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy   Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy  

That's an interesting one Paul as that eagle mark on the spine indicates it was issued to Third Reich Polizei. So with a likely DDR refurbishment it may have remained a Polizei bayonet but with the Volkspolizei. Any marks on the pommel or maker mark?

?

Default refurb

Hello mate ,It as AWS with scales on blade ricasso RegardsPaul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy   Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy  

As before another most likely DDR refurbished bayonet, but with the much scarcer German Police bayonet - the original period examples of this later period (the AWS marking) Coppel made bayonets typically had the black Bakelite grips. And a scabbard with a smooth/no lines frog stud with no serial numbers - the one here most likely an earlier Wehrmacht example. Which is very typical with many of these DDR bayonets that seem to be paired up without any special emphasis for the markings such as renumbering etc. Best Regards, Fred

?

Thanks For the info Fred much appreciated .Paul.

?

Default referb

Here is a example by Rich A HERDER 1938 but with original grips and none matching scabbard Paul.

Iron Curtain K98 bayonet, post war refurbished 44pyy  

Paul the AWS (Coppel) marked bayonet is what I expected for a Police contract bayonet as ACS/AWS were major contract suppliers to the Third Reich Polizei.
    Your Richard Herder example is another that defies what we collectors believe to be the norm, as the bakelite grip plates were not replaced during the post war refurbishment. Popular belief would say they would have been switched for wood ones, but these black bakelite grips are very likely to be original to the 1938 manufacture of the bayonet. Though they would have been removed during rebluing.
    In my earlier 44pyy example the wood grips may also be original, some might argue they are not but it's impossible to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast