Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98 1940 Jetter and Scheerer Bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great Christmas and that you are all well during this pandemic. While being indoors I decided to research my K98 bayonet which I purchased a couple of year

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    A good condition period rework (IMO) from one of the scarcer makers. It has a small patch on the blade of corrosion most probably from electrolysis with the scabbard spring liners. A good light preservative type of oil, and some wiping down to remove the looser rust probably what I would be doing myself. Best Regards, Fred
    Thank you so much for your reply Fred. I never knew that you can get electrolysis from the scabbard spring liners. You learn something new everyday. I will propably clean with some Ballistol oil and leave it as it is. I wouldn't want to remove the spring liners from the scabbard to clean them as I have never done this before and I am not sure if I will manage to pull it out and replace it safely. I am guessing that should still be ok when it comes to preserving the bayonet and scabbard if I don't clean the inside of the scabbard and the springs.

I also wanted to ask what you mean by reworked. I mean I know that the bayonet has one replaced washer and hence I am certain that it has been opened before. Also I was told that the screw on the scabbard is not original b a member replying to the thread. Any chance that that was done during the war? Are there any other signs that indicate some extra work that has been done on it?

Thank you and I hope you have a happy new year.

Thomas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 1940 Jetter and Scheerer Bayonet
    P
    Many

Thomas, While I like the OEM type of bayonets, a favorite exception is a TR period rework that came from Norway. The Germans in the early years having a rebuild program in place that produced bayonets where it was very difficult to identify them from the OEM types - to others that had been recycled and refurbished multiple times with parts from different manufacturing eras all renumbered to match. Ballistol is what the Germans used and I like it, but for long term storage one of my side projects is evaluating some of the newer products that are now in the marketplace to see if there is (for me) something that I think does the best that is possible. Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2