Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog

Article about: Hello All many years ago i picked up this canvas and leather bayonet frog i was told it was ww2 German and indeed a K98 bayonet fits spot on however i have never seen another the constructio

Sleepwalker, An interesting assortment. When I was living in Lower Saxony leftovers from WW2 were almost impossible to find and usually badly stored. Something that I also saw from the large masses of captured and reused/recycled/reworked items used in the Balkans and Southern Europe etc. by the armies there that had been using captured German weapons/gear after the war because it was where they left them - and then later imported into the U.S. as surplus. At some shows there were also large stacks of literally brand new 1945 dated TR holsters etc. that had been captured by the Russians and stored by them since the war (they were not ersatz relics). The captured guns were reworked by the Russians, the imported Russian guns a mixture or reworks and a limited number of OEM examples. My point being that while I’m OK with some items, I’m not with some others. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog
    P
    Many

Almost forgotten.

This web material (linen, exactly the same weave) was also installed by Wersa Munich in their A-frame.

Regards

First, from personal (general manufacturing) education/experience I seriously doubt that the average frog makers manufactured the webbing and hardware for their frogs versus outsourcing them from specialized manufacturers. At one show I met someone who during the conversation admitted to having some postwar "TR" items manufactured for him in the East Bloc (he was puzzled how I detected them). After the conversation, I looked at some* of my Russian rifle slings and compared a few of them to one of my DAK frogs (using a better camera than my old one). If you look closely at the circa 1942 DAK frog you can see three different weaving patterns. (* There are also Russian Navy and other variants) Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4