Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet Frog Removal

Article about: Hi all, I have got a question about removing a leather frog from a K98 Bayonet. What is the right way to do this? This Kriegsmarine K98 bayonet has a Luftwaffe frog on it. The leather is ver

Dos
    ?

Default K98 Bayonet Frog Removal

Hi all,

I have got a question about removing a leather frog from a K98 Bayonet. What is the right way to do this?

This Kriegsmarine K98 bayonet has a Luftwaffe frog on it. The leather is very dry and not subtle...

K98 Bayonet Frog Removal

I've searched around on the internet and this forum, but couldn't find anything about this. Do you need to slide it over the frog stud on the scabbard?

Or can you remove this stud by turning it counterclockwise and then take the frog off?

I don't want to damage anything... Any help with this is much appreciated! Thanks.

-Dos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Frog Removal
    P
    Many

Hi Dos...good move not taking any action on this combination.
    Wait for the Bayo guys to chime in.
    There might be a reason why there is a Luft frog on there and would be best to wait and see the answer.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Best practice is probably leave it in place, as any attempt to remove will stretch the leather. If it's reasonably supple you may get away with it. The frog lug does not turn, so only way is to stretch the top edge of frog over the top edge of the lug. It should then just slide straight out. Like many things, putting it on, is easier than taking it off.

as Anderson says but pull the frog up nicely then lift! done this many times on my WW1 bayo

?

You have there a nice KM marked bayonet Nordsee, i dont known its a 37 Pack , when the frog is hard leather You should preserve with lanolin to soft them firstly, when too tight on scabbard i would remain it as is, when loosy, so when it was soften, then it could be gently remove, step by step without crack the leather. But this is long time process.

Andy B is the master I must type

Dos
    ?

Great advice gentlemen! Thanks a lot. I'm still looking for a KM Frog for this K98 Bayonet. If anyone has one please pm me!

I've made a thread about it in the past that can be found here on this link:

K98 E.PACK & S Bayonet

It's a number matching KM Nordsee K98 Bayonet from 1937.

Since i don't have a replacement frog for it yet. I will leave it as it is for now like you all mention above. Andy, I will buy some lanolin for it and see what the future brings!

This is good advice and beneficial for all of us that will encounter the same problem