Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

late war phosphated bayonet?

Article about: Hello everyone, I already have this bayonet for quite a while and I already posted it here right after I got it. But now someone told me that this might be a phosphated bayonet instead of a

Default late war phosphated bayonet?

Hello everyone,

I already have this bayonet for quite a while and I already posted it here right after I got it. But now someone told me that this might be a phosphated bayonet instead of a standard blued bayonet. It is marked crs 44 so it's made by Paul Weyersberg in 1944. If you know if this is indeed a phosphated version please let me know.

With kind regards,
    Bram

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement late war phosphated bayonet?
    P
    Many

Hi there,

no the bayonet is not phosphated. Simply worn off finish.

The manufacturer is also not known for this variant.

Regards

Okay thanks for your reply.

I still have one question. Do you know what the hole in the handle of a k98 bayonet is for?

CBH
    ?

I believe the hole is there so mud and dirt can pushed out by the cleaning rod when mounting on the rifle. If it wasn’t there dirt and gunk could interfere with fixing the bayonet or inversely cause it to stick and not be easily removed.

This opening is used to allow fencing and dirt to get out.

I always thought the hole was for muzzle gas....
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

CBH
    ?

The muzzle is above the blade, not the handle.

correct...I just recall reading somewhere that because the handle was fastened and not completely set against the tang gasses would get in there, and the notches were there to allow them to escape...trying for the life of me to find that info again....makes a little sense via the pic below of one of mine that I have mounted for display....then again, I could be completely nuts

then again....the more I hold it, look at the design and logic....dirt removal makes more sense, I put a pin all the
    way thru even though the stud only goes half way
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

If it were Phosphated it would be considered a bayonet variant called the Grey Ghost. Quite rare.

A thread for reference " if " it had phosphated fittings > Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast