Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

late war phosphated bayonet?

Article about: Hello everyone, I already have this bayonet for quite a while and I already posted it here right after I got it. But now someone told me that this might be a phosphated bayonet instead of a

Side by side the difference between the blued and grey/gray (in German = grau) phosphated bayonets later in the same year (1944) from Hörster is very noticeable. (The "Grey Ghosts" are a subset in that group.) The bayonet here in the lighting used looking more like a dull blued finish. German period documentation from the gun maker Mauser also mentioning both finishes. Some late roughly same period guns from them (Mauser) having the same basic kind of dull gray exterior finish (there are some differences) that many U.S. collectors often call "Parkerizing". Which is seen with many U.S. WW2 era (and earlier) guns, bayonets, and knives. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement late war phosphated bayonet?
    P
    Many

?

As mentioned by others the phosphate was used mainly by Hoerster, this bayonet is e range of crs 44 which is in reality a middle year production, there are many samples which could confirm weakly blueing, the blueing on rough mashining is not extra visible, as late war was finish rougher the blueing is weak in comparation of highpolished blued surface in 1937-42 period. The highest numbers are j range for 44crs, even the 45crs are reported as weakly blued.

Thank you very much for your replies everyone!

Bram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2