Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Matching 1939 Mauser K98 Bayonet by WKC.

Article about: HI all, hope all is well. Although I already have a number of K98 bayonets I picked up this example in the past week or so. After having some disappointment with what I thought to be a nice

HI all, thank you so much for your feedback. Compared to some other examples that I have, the sharpening is noticeable, but compared to some others I’ve seen it’s been done quite cleanly. Do you think this would detract from the value of the item significantly?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Matching 1939 Mauser K98 Bayonet by WKC.
    P
    Many

?

Along with it being sharpened. It also has been taken apart. You can see that the grip screws have been marred and have turned up lips on the spanner nut and screw head.
    Valuation is not spoken here. Does it affect it, Yes. But like mentioned, Some bayonets were sharpened even if it was a No-No and against HQ directives.

It is a good looking matching bayo!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-17-2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelliing correction

Hello,

it is difficult to prove when these sharpenings were made.

One can safely say: the bayonets were not personal equipment. They were regularly checked by the NCO, exchanged for damage, exchanged for refreshments, exchanged for relocation or rearmament, confiscated for injuries etc.
    This can also be seen in the entries in the soldiers' books.

Damaging a bayonet would have been noticed very quickly.
    The soldiers were obliged to pay compensation.

Regards

?

No argument here Sleepwalker,
    But I would think if I was cut off from supplies , No reinforcements are being sent and it was my only tool/weapon available to me. I would put an edge on it.
    Now that might not be the case and this was done by the Soldier who liberated it, Or some GI/Vet/previous owner who thought it would serve him better as a sharp knife post war.
    This is Total speculation on my part!

I do agree 1000% these were not issued sharp and a pristine example should not have an sharpened edge.

I do have a question about sharpening. I found a reply about German WW1 bayonets. So I'll ask in this thread.
    Were German WW1 bayonets allowed to be sharpened by the unit armorer?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-17-2020 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added question

yes it is generally assumed too much.
    As knives or as tools there were various knives, the WH combat knife, the infantry knife, pocket knife and combination tools. The bayonet was actually abolished in 1944 because it was classified as completely useless and unwieldy. Instead, combat knives should be issued.

Incidentally, an experience that was already made in the First World War ...

In general, the supply situation was not as bad as is often claimed. Towards the end of the war, logistics and distribution were more difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2