Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Number on Bayonet Crossguard

Article about: Hello These three numbers on Grossguard ''147'' - Any idea what number is ? (perhaps applied after the war?, maybe someone in here knows) - Unfortunately this late bayonet has been painted b

?

Similar serialing on german bayonets is well known already from WW1 mainly on S98/05 and S84/98 bayonets. In major cases it was realised by refurbishment. Yes i have seen it on WW2 pieces too wout any other postwar serialing. This bayonet when found in Denmark has not typical marking for postwar using, the black paint was probably added by owner to stop rust on handle. note the black paint on countersunk, same as the screw were not corectly removed from grips, as used brighter screwdriver, which damaged edges of wood in hole for screws.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Number on Bayonet Crossguard
    P
    Many

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    The barell ring area numbering is not confirmed on postwar refurbishments, the piece is clearly dissasembled as the screws are damaged on slots, question remains what for assembly numbers are on inner parts? the handle and scabbard was black painted evidently. As the flashguard is wout blueing but the crossguard looks blued, it should be looked to serialing of this parts or proofs on them?.
    The internal number is the same on the grip and bayonet ''984'' (not the serial number) and Pommel is missing a number 8 otherwise it almost matches the rest of the numbers of 984 on the bayonet and both grips.. There are no WaA stamp on grips and nothing on flashguard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Number on Bayonet Crossguard  
    Attached Images Attached Images Number on Bayonet Crossguard 

Hello,

1934 was the year in which the troop stamps were abolished.
    Mostly it was S84/98 and S98/05 from the Empire, which have these stamps.
    Nevertheless, there are also a few S84/98s from the 1934 production and with a troop stamp.

In the Reichswehr there were two types of troop stamps.

Some were extensive and detailed.

Then there were provisional troop stamps.
    They usually only existed with company and weapon numbers. These were attached to the curve of the barrel support, frog stud or to the back of the blade.
    The company was distinguished by the weapon number. Either company in large numbers and weapon number in smaller numbers or with dots in between.

This is exactly what you will find in your S84/98. Big 1 for a First Company and 34 for the inventory number.

Here are more examples:

Plausible I guess since this is a "K" code (1934) S84/98

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

1934 was the year in which the troop stamps were abolished.
    Mostly it was S84/98 and S98/05 from the Empire, which have these stamps.
    Nevertheless, there are also a few S84/98s from the 1934 production and with a troop stamp.

In the Reichswehr there were two types of troop stamps.

Some were extensive and detailed.

Then there were provisional troop stamps.
    They usually only existed with company and weapon numbers. These were attached to the curve of the barrel support, frog stud or to the back of the blade.
    The company was distinguished by the weapon number. Either company in large numbers and weapon number in smaller numbers or with dots in between.

This is exactly what you will find in your S84/98. Big 1 for a First Company and 34 for the inventory number.

Here are more examples:

Ah okay -
    So I have become wiser in that area and thank you for your answer/suggestion -
    But that number is not 134 but 147, are they the same as 34 for company as for the 47 number?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Number on Bayonet Crossguard  

?

Quote by jtns63 View Post
    Ah okay -
    So I have become wiser in that area and thank you for your answer/suggestion -
    But that number is not 134 but 147, are they the same as 34 for company as for the 47 number?

Sorry I mean for the inventory number.

47 instead of 34. Was a mistake on my part. Means the same. Number of the bayonet in the armory.

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    47 instead of 34. Was a mistake on my part. Means the same. Number of the bayonet in the armory.
    This means that it is rare bayonet this one from 1934, if a few s84/98 from 1934 got this 147 (or other numbers) stamp on the Grossguard

Quote by jtns63 View Post
    This means that it is rare bayonet this one from 1934, if a few s84/98 from 1934 got this 147 (or other numbers) stamp on the Grossguard
    Random accountability numbers are found on the reworks of both the Behörden and military bayonets. Sometimes it's just one, but I've seen as many as five. One much scarcer (IMO) pre-wartime Behörden example that I've seen did not have a number, but did have an Army style depot rework marking that would seem to indicate that it got swept up in the early days of the war along with German Army bayonets for refurbishing. Best Regards, Fred

?

Yes as mentioned SW by different case of digits, this could be so called simplified unit stamp inside of larger unit, which is not known, also 1.Company and weapon nr.47, for this speaks the matching assembly numbers of parts. when not addition serialing present there. Anyway on grips are 2 sets of assembly numbers, one carved 984 and one stamped so i assume the piece was refurbished one time , question how is flashguard serialed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast