Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Number on Bayonet Crossguard

Article about: Hello These three numbers on Grossguard ''147'' - Any idea what number is ? (perhaps applied after the war?, maybe someone in here knows) - Unfortunately this late bayonet has been painted b

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Yes as mentioned SW by different case of digits, this could be so called simplified unit stamp inside of larger unit, which is not known, also 1.Company and weapon nr.47, for this speaks the matching assembly numbers of parts. when not addition serialing present there. Anyway on grips are 2 sets of assembly numbers, one carved 984 and one stamped so i assume the piece was refurbished one time , question how is flashguard serialed.

Ok - Flashguard has number number 34 and nothing else, no WaA stamp is found either.
    Why are these numbers found on Grossguard for only a few manufacturers? and only in 1934?
    What company is it issued to, with this big 1 number and why weapon number 47? This weapon number 47, what is it for, what company? - As SW wrote, it is equally valid whether the number on the weapon is 34 or 47 as here.
    Attached Images Attached Images Number on Bayonet Crossguard 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Number on Bayonet Crossguard
    P
    Many

?

I assume when there is not 34 on tang of bayonet under grips, then the flashguard with 34 is a replacement, anyway it should be assembly matched to 984 serialed and Eagle/88 proofed by period 1934 part.
    Similar short unit serialing was a Weimar era marking, already post 1934 were not used on bayonets,this was added by a armorer of the unit, the unit stamp should be in form 1.47 as on SW provided photos, where the 1.should be for 1.Company and 47 or other number is inside of this unit acountability number.
    From this number You could not determine the base unit, no Regimental number. When there is not dot between 1.47 it could be still a refurbishment serialing as mentioned by me in earlier answers.

Great Thread Gents
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello,

these marks were mainly struck between 1918/1919 and 1943. Much longer with the police. But this has nothing to do with the police.

The S84/98 ordered by the Weapons Office should be numbered instead of a troop stamp. This simplified registration in the armory and in the service log of the soldiers.

From 1934 to the end of the 1930s, the manufacturers sometimes used really complex numbering of the parts.

Depending on the manufacturer, parts such as handle scales or fire plates often only received the last 2-3 digits of the serial number.

There were manufacturers who used their own 2-4 digit number on the handle in addition to the serial number on the blade. Grip scales, fire irons and bayonet locks were often numbered using the handle number. Often only the last two digits were beaten here.

You only realize this when you disassemble the bayonet and look closely at the numbers.

In the case of your bayonet, we have the serial number "7211" and the manufacturer's retail number "984".
    The handle scales are aligned with the numbers, but I see other numbers there. Isn't there a "939" on the lower grip?
    In any case, the "34" and the "94" fit. I think these parts have been replaced. It is difficult to find out when this was done today.

Regards

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

these marks were mainly struck between 1918/1919 and 1943. Much longer with the police. But this has nothing to do with the police.

The S84/98 ordered by the Weapons Office should be numbered instead of a troop stamp. This simplified registration in the armory and in the service log of the soldiers.

From 1934 to the end of the 1930s, the manufacturers sometimes used really complex numbering of the parts.

Depending on the manufacturer, parts such as handle scales or fire plates often only received the last 2-3 digits of the serial number.

There were manufacturers who used their own 2-4 digit number on the handle in addition to the serial number on the blade. Grip scales, fire irons and bayonet locks were often numbered using the handle number. Often only the last two digits were beaten here.

You only realize this when you disassemble the bayonet and look closely at the numbers.

In the case of your bayonet, we have the serial number "7211" and the manufacturer's retail number "984".
    The handle scales are aligned with the numbers, but I see other numbers there. Isn't there a "939" on the lower grip?
    In any case, the "34" and the "94" fit. I think these parts have been replaced. It is difficult to find out when this was done today.

Regards
    The number you mention 939, which is on the lower handle (here I have turned the picture upside down - the lower picture) and it is also the same number 984 but which is scratched by hand with a thin metal thing (scratching tip) and the other number ''984 '' is stamped. And is it correct that these three numbers on the Grossguard (147 - number 1 in large and number 47 in regular) are only found in 1934 or (these marks were mainly struck between 1918/1919 and 1943 as you mention or was it troop stamp? . .
    I collect S84/98 and I not only collect S84/98 but also collect knowledge and the better knowledge about the bayonet the better. I have become Wise in that area and thank you very much for your knowledge about S84/98 bayonet I also thank others.

Regards
    jtns63
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Number on Bayonet Crossguard   Number on Bayonet Crossguard  

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

Regards
    ah I'm in.
    Thanks.

regards
    Last edited by jtns63; 10-12-2022 at 05:32 AM.

Quote by jtns63 View Post
    Ah I guess I'm around now as you mentioned ''these marks were mainly struck between 1918/1919 and 1943'' - Those numbers on the inside grip, flashguard and locking button were used until 1943 (not serial number) and that number on my bayonet from 1934 - 147 on Grossguard is only used in 1934 - is that correctly understood?

regards
    The bayonet here is Weimar with a "K" (1934) date scabbard, and mixed parts including later period manufacture black plastic grips all armory re-numbered to match. Circa 1943 the Germans stopped using the internal numbering to match system (varies by maker/time frame) as one of the wartime expedients to save time and effort. The number inside the cross guard is not factory, and has not been seen on any of my "K" dates, or early Behörden (aka Commercial) examples that includes the German Police, Railway etc. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Number on Bayonet Crossguard  

Quote by jtns63 View Post
    Ah I guess I'm around now as you mentioned ''these marks were mainly struck between 1918/1919 and 1943'' - Those numbers on the inside grip, flashguard and locking button were used until 1943 (not serial number) and that number on my bayonet from 1934 - 147 on Grossguard is only used in 1934 - is that correctly understood?

regards
    Hello,

these numbers were only used from 1918/1919 to 1934.
    They were so-called provisional troop stamps.

Regards

Hello,

the regulation is from 1921.

In fact, they have been superseded by other regulations. Nevertheless, these provisional troop stamps continued to be used.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3