Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions - Markings on Crossguard

Article about: Hi there, I’m a new member to this forum and was hoping to get some help with a bayonet I recently acquired. It’s a 1940 F Herder und Sohn blued bayonet with non-matching scabbard. Ironi

?

Default Opinions - Markings on Crossguard

Hi there,

I’m a new member to this forum and was hoping to get some help with a bayonet I recently acquired. It’s a 1940 F Herder A Sohn blued bayonet with non-matching scabbard. Ironically the scabbard and bayonet have the same serial number and manufacture year but different maker (scabbard is WKC).

However the thing I’d like some opinions on are the markings in the pictures. On the cross guard there appears to be a “2 SS” marking. I haven’t seen any Regimentally marked WW2 bayonets but perhaps I just haven’t seen enough. Some brief Google searching brought back “2nd SS Infantry Divison” but I wasn’t able to find any bayonets that had the same markings. Any idea what they might be? Is it original?

I am wary of anything SS because of the fakes out there so not holding my breath. I bought the bayonet without even knowing the markings were there so I didn't pay anything big for the markings. All that being said I haven't seen any fakes like this. Usually see the fake etched blades and fake runes.

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks

Opinions - Markings on CrossguardOpinions - Markings on CrossguardOpinions - Markings on CrossguardOpinions - Markings on Crossguard
    Last edited by rd416; 01-06-2022 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Grammar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions - Markings on Crossguard
    P
    Many

Welcome to the WR forum. Your first instincts are correct. WW2 era bayonets such as this were not regiment marked, and that includes SS used bayonets, much to the annoyance of SS militaria collectors who would love to link a bayonet to SS use. I believe that is the explanation of the marks on the crossguard. A post war owner has added the marks, perhaps to improve sale price. Best just forget the marks are there and enjoy what is an tidy S84/98, even if the scabbard doesn't match.

Hello,

Unfortunately, the Seitengewehr 84/98 does not have the same numbers at first. So it was not issued together.

I don't really know what the stamp on the crossguard is supposed to mean. It can be a bad attempt to imitate an SS stamp. But it can also be a mark from the time after 1945. The S84 / 98 continued to be used in many countries.

Real bayonets of the SS never show any acceptances or troop stamps.

Waffen-SS units that were subordinate to the Wehrmacht - i.e. the majority - were equipped with weapons by the Wehrmacht. Therefore, captured bayonets were used by the armed forces as well as normal S84/98 bayonets.

All other units were given captured material as well as S84/98 without any acceptance or serial number. A maximum of one manufacturer can be found on it.

Regards

?

Thank you both for your input!

Much appreciated

?

The bayonet itself is not matching and blade was sharpened what is postwar done, i have reported similar S marking on various real pieces, so it could be war period depot marking or overhaul marking, hard to say but the crosspiece rivets are different color, so possible the piece was refurbished, second explanation would be a postwar using, the here S didnt corespond with SS as this is a clear doubble strike.

?

Sorry for the late response. Appreciate the input Andy. Good call on the double strike.