Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Puma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddel

Article about: A fairly bog standard Puma dress bayonet with the long (25cm) blade, though the scabbard is a blued unmarked, unnumbered "commercial" type that has the patina of TR. Was it bought

Default Puma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddel

A fairly bog standard Puma dress bayonet with the long (25cm) blade, though the scabbard is a blued unmarked, unnumbered "commercial" type that has the patina of TR. Was it bought by the original bayonet owner? We'll never know, but possible as the Military Outfitter shops are likely to have sold these commercial blued versions of the scabbard.
    Troddel is a period one for 4th company of 1st Bataillon, but if the stengel (stalk) is actually yellow and not stained white, it would be 3rd Bataillon.

Puma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddelPuma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddelPuma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddelPuma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Puma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddel
    P
    Many

Here are couple of questions :

1. was it producer choice to blue or paint scabbards ?
    2. when did the widely seen black painted types appear?
    3. was this a special order or the beginning of a production process only to be changed to the black paint and these were left over?

I have a Puma long and a Tiger short which coming from the same Lauterjung family I find intriguing.

a. Did the Lauterjungs before they shipped these to the outlets order these scabbards from outside contractors and a batch of these blued finish types were sent to them ...or was it requested by Lauterjung.

I ask these questions for discussion purposes as the Edged Weapon producers of this time were interwoven with each other along with the same sub contractors.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Nice Bayo Anderson!
    Fittings are in great condition, although a pretty common one, its in great shape and makes a nice addition to your collection.

Regards
    Ger

btw
    i received my forestry gem last monday, the one that will blow you away, as promised
    i will try to post that damast HF with gold panel etch tomorrow if i can find the time

All good questions Larry. The issue of unmarked blued scabbards with a KS98 parade bayonet is one that is debated by collectors. My understanding is that the producers like Puma would sell the bayonet with a painted scabbard to the Military Outfitter shops where most soldiers bought these bayonets. Though it's also believed they were sold through the regimental mess as well. The shops are believed to have sold these unmarked blued scabbards which as a buyer's option you could replace the painted scabbard for the more durable finish of a blued scabbard. However with special orders like etched bayonets a blued scabbard was also an option from companies like Eickhorn. The "commerical" (for want of a better word) scabbards are likely to have been made by another contractor. Some collectors believe where you find a dress bayonet with a blued, unmarked scabbard they were matched up post war by some veteran or collector. But again it's not something we can be sure off one way or the other.
    Black painted dress bayonet scabbards actually date back to the time of First World War.
    Wayne Techet in his book "German etched dress bayonets" shows an example with a factory ordered blued bayonet. Other maker catalogues show a delux leather scabbard with steel fittings was also available with special honour type bayonets.Puma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddelPuma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddel
    Last edited by Anderson; 12-13-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks Ger, looking forward to seeing that Forestry HF.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Thanks Ger, looking forward to seeing that Forestry HF.
    teaser...Puma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddelPuma KS98 dress bayonet, 25cm blade and troddel

Wow! That is incredible! Fantastic detailing. Looking forward to seeing more on the Forestry Forum