Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Reichspost bayonet

Article about: I got this bayonet some time ago, someone chromed it after the war, but the strange thing is that it dose not fit on an original bayonet lug, any ideas why?

Default Reichspost bayonet

I got this bayonet some time ago, someone chromed it after the war, but the strange thing is that it dose not fit on an original bayonet lug, any ideas why?

Reichspost bayonetReichspost bayonetReichspost bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichspost bayonet
    P
    Many

The shape is right - on which part does it foul? ..... the socket may have been squashed a bit? ( e.g. used as a hammer )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

the bayonet seems just to tight, I tried using other bayonets, even used a butcher blade bayonet and it fit fine, it looks to me as if the socket is angled a bit instead of being horizontal. I hope this image explains it a bit better. Reichspost bayonet

Does it have a maker mark & date? I recall Reichspost S84/98 bayonets were made by Paul Weyersburg until 1942.

The only markings on it are the number 14285 with R.P. underneath it and on the other side of the blade it says Paul weyersberg & co solingen, maybe there are some waffenamt or other markings but are currently invisible because of the plating.

?

The chrome or nickel plating could be inside of slot, the pommel looks like little bented to side so probably with smaller filler clean the slots and it should be oiled and gently proofed on adapter, the Reichspost bayonet would be nice when in origin condition. There is no WaA proofs as Postal contract.

I will try to restore it, I need to replace the grips and I need to find somewhere to buy the button that locks the bayonet on the lug, because unfortunately it is missing

Hi,
    yes i also think that the nickel coating is simply too thick and therefore the bayonet does not fit.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hi,
    yes i also think that the nickel coating is simply too thick and therefore the bayonet does not fit.
    While there may or may not be other problems, I'm in agreement with Sleepwalker. Nickel plated guns from reputable makers fit together and operate very well. But the guns that were plated by just anybody with no real training/experience vey often could not even be reassembled without removing the plating on the working surfaces. Best Regards, Fred

so I removed the grips since they were wrong and I found bakelite ones for cheap from 1942. And on the metal part of the handles underneath the grips I found H on one side and D on the other side