MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!

Article about: Good eve again, friends. Since you all liked my E.u.F. Hörster I posted last night, I've got one more matching bayonet for you to assess. My meager knowledge of this Seitengewehr: S/244 mar

Default S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!

Good eve again, friends.

Since you all liked my E.u.F. Hörster I posted last night, I've got one more matching bayonet for you to assess.

My meager knowledge of this Seitengewehr:

S/244 marked bayonet (S/244G) - I believe this is the "S code" for Mundlos AG Nähmaschinenfabrik, unless I'm mistaken
    Matching serial numbers on scabbard and bayonet (6396 G, it looks like?)
    Black leather frog marked but difficult to read on the back - possibly L38 or L33? The frog is a bit rough with some stitching torn away, but it's still pretty well intact - just have to handle it gingerly.
    This one is a bit rusty and not as nice as my previous post, but I still think it's a nice matching bayonet with wood grips.
    What do you think?

Thanks for looking!

S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!
    S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!
    S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S/244 Marked Matching Bayonet - One More For The Forum!
    P
    Many

Nice matching bayonet. The grips have been messed with but look good. Is that a luftwaffe frog?
    John

?

Looks similar, well used S/244G as correctly deciphered Mundlos 1935, the series letter could be a? wrong visible, or g probably, the backside of frog could be marked B38 as for depot marking, maker is probably woried off.
    Last edited by AndyB; 08-09-2022 at 09:27 AM.

The "G" code indicates 1935 manufacture, so an early S84/98 type III. Mundlos is an interesting maker, of low/medium volume. I seem to recall they used scabbards made by Horster. Notice also the Imperial style inspection marks on this one. A little rusty but hard to find a little used bayonet from 1935, potentially had 10 years service in Third Reich.

?

Personally dont remember of any Hoerster scabbards used by Mundlos,maybe later but not so early as 1935, but maybe Anderson is right on it, Mundlos was a medium range producer, the proofs are normal weimar eagle downwings shape not imperial period, unfortunally partly not visible on some parts.
    Last edited by AndyB; 08-09-2022 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks, John! I don't think this is a LW frog, but I could be wrong.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Looks similar, well used S/244G as correctly deciphered Mundlos 1935, the series letter could be a? wrong visible, or g probably, the backside of frog could be marked B38 as for depot marking, maker is probably woried off.
    Thanks for the input again, Andy. Yes, it could be a B38, but you're right, it's just too worn away to really tell anymore.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The "G" code indicates 1935 manufacture, so an early S84/98 type III. Mundlos is an interesting maker, of low/medium volume. I seem to recall they used scabbards made by Horster. Notice also the Imperial style inspection marks on this one. A little rusty but hard to find a little used bayonet from 1935, potentially had 10 years service in Third Reich.
    Thanks again Anderson, I always value your knowledge! I wasn't aware of the Horster made scabbards supplied to Mundlos, very nice bit of history there. And other than the rust, it indeed has managed to survive in overall nice condition considering its early manufacture. Thanks again.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Personally dont remember of any Hoerster scabbards used by Mundlos,maybe later but not so early as 1935, but maybe Anderson is right on it, Mundlos was a medium range producer, the proofs are normal weimar eagle downwings shape not imperial period, unfortunally partly not visible on some parts.
    I'll give this bayonet another look over and see if I can locate any more proof marks, but the rust definitely obscures them a bit.

Thanks all for having a look!

?

This looks like normal frog, even brown colored as only front part was probably blackened, the piece is heavy woried, no stitching in middle part, maker is worried off.

Needless to say it take a lot of use to wear the stitching away completely. It's good match with the general patina of the bayonet.

Hello,

matching number S84/98 of 1935. A so-called "front sow". Must have been through a lot.

The frog is a piece of the army. B38 = Heeresbekleidungsamt Berlin = Army Clothing Office Berlin 1938.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast