Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SeitenGewehr 1898 alter Art

Article about: This bayonet is the old style ( alter Art) S1898 Extremely long ( to compete against the long Lebel M1886 spike bayo's or the long Grass bayo's the German invented the long S1898. Its was a

?

Default SeitenGewehr 1898 alter Art

This bayonet is the old style ( alter Art) S1898
    Extremely long ( to compete against the long Lebel M1886 spike bayo's or the long Grass bayo's the German invented the long S1898.
    Its was a bayonet that broke easily, although i have found a few in good, non broken shape on the Battlefields of Verdun
    Production was expensive because of the U shape grip (one piece, instead of the neuer art which has 2 gripplates) and the typical shaped blade ( Quillback) in German a so called Schörklinge.
    Its been marked 65 R 12 39
    Correct me if im wrong:Württembergisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.65 12e Kompanie, 39e waffe
    Marked year 1902
    This one came from the Belgium battlefield, and its not a often seen one.
    Push button still works, leather is hard, to look at its condition this very well might be a Barn find.SeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter Art
    Enjoy the pics.
    Regards,
    Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SeitenGewehr 1898 alter Art
    P
    Many

?

Very nice Mr H & very long too....A nice piece of history you have there.. Cheers Terry.

That's a good WW1 era regiment marked everyone I run across has some South American crest on the pommel that one is nice and definetly German used. timothy

?

Nice 1st model "quillback"! Regimental markings can be tough, I would be more inclined to think it was for the 12th company of the 65th Infantry regiment. I can do some more research tomorrow to see which one would be more appropriate.

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Nice 1st model "quillback"! Regimental markings can be tough, I would be more inclined to think it was for the 12th company of the 65th Infantry regiment. I can do some more research tomorrow to see which one would be more appropriate.
    Jim, That's a good call IMO. It's also how I would asses this one myself. The Nr. 65 Regiment was also known as the 5th Rheinisches Infantrie-Regiment Nr. 65 that was a part of the IX Armee Korps (Prussian) based in Cöln (Cologne).

Ger, Congratulations on a nice piece of History, and Thank You for sharing. Best Regards, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 10-04-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: minor editing

?

Thank you gents with the Regimental info and help, it's appreciated!
    I just couldnt resist his one, i hardly come accross a S98 aA and i like the U shaped grip, this one came strait from the Flandern battlefield.
    I'm intereted to see if you first Reg. info is correct Jim.
    Thx!

Regards,
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 10-05-2014 at 08:31 AM.

?

R by itself in a regimental marking will almost always stand for Infantry, Fusilier or Grenadier regiments. A cursive or stylized R will be with other letters and will represent reserve. A field artillery marked bayonet, or other equipment, will be marked F.A.R. , Fd.A.R. , Fs. A. R. OR Fss.A.R. The thing about regimental s is, sometimes one stamped abbreviation can have more than one meaning. So, you will have to have some knowledge, or access to information, on the make-up of German forces of the correct time period.

Your markings make sense, because Infantry regiments are numbered that high(and higher) and Infantry companies are numbered as high as 12, so all good there. Here are a couple of Army maps from World War I.com to illustrate that very thing:SeitenGewehr 1898 alter ArtSeitenGewehr 1898 alter Art

With the help of Jeff Noll and his book "The Imperial German regimental marking" , you can find that this regiment did exist and is as F.P. says, the 65th regiment is the 5. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment of the 15th Infantry Division(although I have it as the VIII armmekorps) in Cologne. The 15th division marched through Luxembourg, Belgium and France, in what became known to the Allies as the Great Retreat, culminating in the First Battle of the Marne. In 1916, it fought in the Battle of the Somme. It was briefly sent to the Eastern Front in late 1916. It participated in the 1918 German Spring Offensive, and defended against the Allied counteroffensives, including the battles of Oise-Aisne and Meuse-Argonne.

So not only do you have a nice, hard to find bayo, you have one with a somewhat traceable history and that is why I love Regimental marked bayo's!

Jim

Jim, Very nicely done . And after checking another source that wasn't as accessible earlier, I'm deferring to your information that it was the VIII Armeekorps in Cologne that was the umbrella organization for the Nr. 65 Infantry Regiment. Best Regards, Fred

Hi Gerrit...Nice historical find..and in decent condition. What is the over all length of the blade?

@Jim.... Great research work on identifying this bayonet and its whereabouts . Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Jim thank you for these additional info, GREAT!!

a pity that i have sold a fieldskitchens firelid ( diameter about 30 cm) which belonged to the:
    2e Landwehr pioneer Korps des 8e Armee.
    I have found traces of that field oven or kitchen in the middle of the Verdun trenches near Fleury

Regards,
    Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast