Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet-captured K98 Bayonet / Fighting Knife?

Article about: Here's something weird. I bought this K98 bayonet which came as a lot with two authentic Soviet defense campaign medals (for Leningrad & Stalingrad). For what it's worth, the seller told

Default Soviet-captured K98 Bayonet / Fighting Knife?

Here's something weird.

I bought this K98 bayonet which came as a lot with two authentic Soviet defense campaign medals (for Leningrad & Stalingrad). For what it's worth, the seller told me he bought the three items together but had no idea as to the bayonet's background. I didn't care because I collect Soviet WW2 medals and was more interested in them and got a great deal so I consider this K98 bayonet as extra!

But it's weird...

As you can see, the bayonet was shortened... why would someone do that? The crudely added wooden grips remind me of the old style Tokarev pistol grips. Do you think a Russian did this?

Between the grips, you can see cracks where the bayonet is broken, but it still feels strong in the hand and does not flex much at all under pressure.

Pardon my lack of K98 bayonet knowledge -- I really don't know much about these, but I would really appreciate your thoughts on what the heck you think happened here?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet-captured K98 Bayonet / Fighting Knife?
    P
    Many

?

I'm no expert but here's my 2 cents. It looks like a parade bayonet, which weren't made to the same standards as combat bayonets (made to look pretty not withstand the rigours of battle). Its also broken and been put back together. Never say never but I certainly wouldn't want to depend on something like that in a life or death scenario - my guess is post war.

Alex

Thanks Alex! Yeah, the condition of the metal surfaces are suspicious to me, showing a lack of age unlike most bayonets from the WW2 era.

Homemade grips reapplied ..but who knows when.

It appears to have been a Police bayonet at one time having the short stag grips removed and replaced with whats in there now.
    Wait for the rest of the Bayo Gents to chime for more comments.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

As Alex says it is an authentic German TR era "parade" or walking out dress bayonet. It has had it's 25cm blade shortened, as there is no sign of the ricasso now. The hilt is made of zinc alloy and probably dates to mid to late 1930's. It would have originally had black bakelite grip plates, now replaced by wood. I would suspect post WW2 (if it did come from Soviet Union) someone had converted it into a hunting or farmer's knife, but the material is not robust enough for real work. And it is unlikely to have been taken to Russia on campaign by a German serviceman, more likely a souvenir acquired in Germany at end of war. I don't see any Polizei connection, more likely Wehrmacht.

Incredible information. Thank you very much!

Hello,

this is a German Extra-Seitengewehr (walking out bayonet).

These were only intended for decoration and had no application value. Most of the time, they weren't implantable on System 98 weapons either.
    The handle was made of a rather weak zinc alloy and the blade was simply riveted to the handle under the handle scales.

You can tell from the piece that the handle head between the handle shells is also torn. The handles have been replaced by handicraft.

Possibly. captured by a Soviet as a souvenir from 1945. But not more ...

Quote by sweersz View Post
    Incredible information. Thank you very much!
    Thats what anyone will get when they enter this website
    The Knowledge here is unsurpassed.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Looks like the blade is shortened, mostly damaged on tang in broken area of handle, so all this were shortened, and new grips were added, value is probably miminal.