Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Two 98/05 Sawbacks

Article about: I was watching a Sawback marked Simpson SHUL on eBay. Is this a rare maker? I was surprised it went for \\$415 with no frog and a dented scabbard. Here is my two both from DUFKOPP WETKE A.E. T

?

Default Two 98/05 Sawbacks

I was watching a Sawback marked Simpson SHUL on eBay. Is this a rare maker? I was surprised it went for $415 with no frog and a dented scabbard. Here is my two both from DUFKOPP WETKE A.E. The interesting one has the blade and the scabbard stamped 2566. This might mean it was reissued to the Reichwehr. I added a tab from Joseph Mole 1934. It is unit marked 3/ JR/80 I. Third Infantry Battalion, Company 80 Equipment Group I.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two  98/05 Sawbacks   Two  98/05 Sawbacks  

Two  98/05 Sawbacks   Two  98/05 Sawbacks  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two  98/05 Sawbacks
    P
    Many

A couple of nice Durkopp S 98/05 Sawbacks Kirby, and good frogs as well. Durkopp was a general manufacturing company that made bayonets from 1914 with the S98/05 and through to about 1940 with the S84/98. After that they went out of bayonet manufacturing and focused on making light anti-aircraft guns.
    As for Simson of Suhl, not particularly rare as they made bayonets throughout WW1 but post WW1 concentrated on making rifles. People in auctions often pay above market value.

?

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the Simson. Thought it might be rare. I guess I am off on my thinking on the value of these sawbacks.

Hi,

two nice S98 / 05 n.A.S.

The Frog from J.Moll from Goch 1934 definitely does not belong to such a bayonet but to a revised S98 / 05 of the Reichswehr / Wehrmacht. You can also see this from the unit marking.

greetings

?

Thanks for the additional information. I will have to do a little research on the differences of a n.A.S.. I have always like these butcher bayonets I'll have to search for one. I do have this reissued bayonet, 1920 dated, but it has XXXX out Police markings. I wonder if a Police bayonet would be Reissued to the REICHWEHR.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two  98/05 Sawbacks   Two  98/05 Sawbacks  

Two  98/05 Sawbacks  

" I wonder if a Police bayonet would be Reissued to the REICHWEHR."

I would think unlikely.