Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed

Article about: Hi Everyone, I've been collecting for all of 2 days and I'm a complete novice. 2 days ago I purchased a DLV / LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA then a PAB 50 badge today. I initial

Default 1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed

Hi Everyone,

I've been collecting for all of 2 days and I'm a complete novice.

2 days ago I purchased a DLV / LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA then a PAB 50 badge today.

I initially signed up to this forum to get verification on the PAB 50 badge. However, the moderator who accepted me onto the forum also suggested I put a post regarding the recent purchase of the Luftwaffe dagger. So here I am.

Please see the photos below -

1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed

What are your thoughts? Is everything as it should be?

I do now realise the error of my ways and will in future always post in this forum before buying an item.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Last edited by Night Flare; 01-26-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Title Amended

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed
    P
    Many

Puma did make Ist Model Luftwaffe daggers and none that I have encountered had a waffen Amt marking.

Waffen Amt 5 is common for Luftwaffe daggers.
    Waffen Amt 8 ? I have never seen.

What is the blade length in Centimeters ?
    The Scabbard is an early DLV type.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately I've already bought it and it's on the way to me. In future I will always check with this forum first before buying anything.

When I have the dagger in my possession I'll be able to take more photos and measure the blade.

Do you think the AMT 8 is suspect or possibly a rare mark on some of the very early daggers?

The sellers description is as below -

"This is the rare pattern dagger that is similar to a 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger but has a soft leather scabbard with metal fittings held in place by large staples in the style of the DLV dagger. All early nickel silver hilt fittings are in excellent condition. The blue leather grip is in perfect condition. The mint blade is by Puma Solingen and features there cats head trade mark, the blade is also stamped with an official acceptance stamp. The scabbard is the rare type with a solid leather scabbard shell which is seen only on very early daggers, latter examples will have a leather covered metal scabbard, the metal scabbard fittings are held in place by large metal staples and again this is only seen on very early daggers. The dagger is complete with chain hanger, the lower chain fittings are the special metal S clip type which attaches on to the scabbard fittings, these S clips are only seen on very early daggers and are also the type seen on the very rare DLV 55cm flyer's dagger. A very difficult dagger model to find especially in nice condition. [Condition: Exc++]"

Hello Mr Night

After further research you have a transitional 1st Model Luftwaffe dagger which still retained the staple fittings on the scabbard. The dagger description is correct ..I see no issues with this dagger.
    After further digging I did find a David Malsch example with a Waffen Amt 8 ( see photo below )

1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed

When you get this dagger check to see if there are any LWaA markings seen on the scabbard throat opening and also on the crossguard ends.
    Its not necessary as it was transitional ..some had them and some did not. Just curious.
    It appears you have winner and a rare example of one.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry I can't thank you enough. Your time, knowledge and advice has been invaluable.

My mind is at ease.

I'll check for LWaA markings when I get the dagger, I'll let you know if it has the markings either way.

Thanks once again,

?

I will subscribe to Larry's opinion. You have a great dagger. Some manufacturers used the old pattern of the scabbard on the staples. Puma did not make daggers DLV55. Daggers from this manufacturer are rare in this configuration, so you're in luck. We will wait for detailed photos of your dagger. See if your guard has a unit engraving.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st EDITION DLV/LUFTWAFFE TRANSITIONAL MODEL DAGGER BY PUMA - Opinions needed