Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?

Article about: Hi collectors! I ordered a named 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger by Eickhorn from a dealer in Germany and received the package today. I’ve been inspecting the dagger and comparing it to other E

Default 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?

Hi collectors!

I ordered a named 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger by Eickhorn from a dealer in Germany and received the package today. I’ve been inspecting the dagger and comparing it to other Eickhorn daggers and there are some things that bother me, mostly the crossguard: It doesn’t match the crossguards I’ve seen on other Eickhorn examples online. The border on the reverse is thinner, the eagle is different and the oakleaves on top are ”raised’ / tooled and not just engraved.

The crossguard on this example seems to be the one found on Krebs or Voss daggers. Did Eickhorn use this type of (generic?) crossguard or have I been sold a parts dagger? Are all of the parts except the blade generic?

Any help examining this specimen would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Sorry about the pictures that are horizontal, I still for the life of me can’t figure out why they get tilted when I upload them…

2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger Eickhorn?
    P
    Many

?

The only parts that are from Eickhorn are the scabbard and the blade. I'm sorry to say that this is a parts dagger.

Regards
    Danny

Thank you for the reply! As always: better to know the truth than to stay ignorant…

I had a feeling something was rotten in the state of Denmark when I had it in hand. The grip fit kind of loose, the crossguard and a sharp edge between the ferrule and grip when I looked under the portepee just now… The pommel I wasn’t sure about - If it was Eickhorn or not, but things didn’t seem quite right.

Will be looking to get my money back from the dealer (richter-historica.de), since it was sold as a Eickhorn and not a parts dagger!

Hey Jackal,

I know this type of pain. If you want you can contact me I have spare Eickhorn's pommel

Thanks, but I think I’ll be OK. I’ve contacted the seller and he said he’d have another look at the dagger. I said I would keep it for spare parts if he gives me a reasonable discount (I paid full price for this thing). Let’s see if he makes me a good offer!

Shame really, since the dagger / parts are in really nice condition and I was hoping to complete my set of near mint Eickhorn Wehrmacht daggers!

Quote by TheJackal83 View Post
    I said I would keep it for spare parts if he gives me a reasonable discount (I paid full price for this thing). Let’s see if he makes me a good offer!
    Let me know then. Fingers crossed

Most noticeably with Eickhorn pommels is that it gives the appearance of being more heart shaped..than a standard round looking pommel as seen here in this thread > Eickhorn Luftwaffe Dagger

and also seen in Tom Wittmanns Luftwaffe reference pg 138

I have seen posted forsale throughout google ...alot of Eickhorn daggers with mismatched pommels which there is a small percentage of them that are correct.

I realize as well ...that are so many stories of how producers traded fittings or sub contracted them for production quota...something like that childrens fable called .." whispering down the lane " ...to which the story keeps changing by one detail..until it is completely opposite from where it started.

Its best to take the extra time and patience through research and wait for a fully correct example ...which these days are a challenge in itself ...but well worth the wait and usually a little more money for an unmessed with example.

You did very well for bringing it here and Danny is one of the top edged weapon collectors here when he told you about the dagger you have.
    You just gained more in valuable knowledge than when you came in with. A Clear Win Win for you

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry! I completely agree, of course wishful thinking had hopes up that this might be a case of ”material shortage” and use of generic parts, but the fit is just too loose and sloppy for that to be the case: No German factory would let this slip through QC.

Having stripped it down and looked closer: I even found a washer / gasket between the pommel and the grip, used to make the fit tighter… Pretty sure what happened here, is that it was a denazified dagger and someone ”fixed” it by replacing the crossguard and pommel.

Definitely learned a lot again!

Hi all,

just wanted to provide an update on the matter for everyone.

I had an e-mail exchange with Richter Historica today, where they confirmed that the dagger had slipped through their inspection, based on comparison pictures I had provided them with. I sent comparisons of the dagger to examples in Johnsons book and Richter Historica handled the matter very proffesionally: Offering me a choice between either a full refund when returning the dagger or a 40% refund and keeping the dagger.

I opted to keep the dagger, since 40% to me is a very reasonable offer: I have received the money back and my cost for the dagger is now 350€, which I feel is fair for a dagger with some replaced parts and I should have no issues reselling it as such for this price. I probably would have gone for a full refund, if it wasn’t for the fact that the blade is engraved with the officers name (enclosing a picture), which for me still makes it a kind of interesting piece to add to the collection.

A big thank you to all of you here again, for very valuable assistance and input on the dagger - You have saved me from a large disappointment down the line, trying to sell and get return of investment in the future, only to be told then that it’s an example with replaced crossguard and pommel!

Glad it worked out for you and you are happy with the outcome for what it is.

Very rare to see a dealer make this kind of deal ...but honorable ...which makes the dealer reputable.
    Yet..never give up always and RESEARCH ALWAYS PAYS OFF ...which put you into a better postion of negotiation.

You know what you have and you do not deny it otherwise. Well Done.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill