Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..

Article about: Here is an interesting SMF luftwaffe sword that I recently purchased from an estate. It appears to be an early SMF sword, judging by the nickel fittings. Unfortunately, the wrap on the handl

Default Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..

Here is an interesting SMF luftwaffe sword that I recently purchased from an estate. It appears to be an early SMF sword, judging by the nickel fittings. Unfortunately, the wrap on the handle has seen better days, and scabbard wrap is missing entirely. The hilt and pommel seem a bit unusual, especially with fully gold dial in the pommel. I have only seen pictures of a few sword mountings like this. Also, engraved on the blade is “Fr. Gr. 114”. Does anyone know what that means? In researching this marking, I found a few other swords that had the same engraving, but they were struck out and had different markings engraved underneath. I welcome your opinions and insights on the history of this sword. I purchased the sword in the condition that it is in, and I have not cleaned it or messed with it. The blade is almost flawless. Judging by how clean and shiny it is, I’m guessing the previous owner had cleaned it. What are your thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..   Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..  

Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..   Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting early SMF luftwaffe sword..
    P
    Many

Hello Mr Andrews and a really nice find..which that sword is totally correct.

It may be flawless due to the correct storage and mostly kept within the scabbard not exposing it to any outside elements.
    The blade is a beauty.

The marking on the blade most of the time will designate the officers flight group that he belonged to and some of the Luftwaffe collectors can comment on that further.

You are correct as this is an early sword that has the brass medallions on the pommel and crossguard. The silvering between the swaz legs are gone to time..which is also common depending between the original officer or the current you bought it from may have cleaned. Still it is a very desirable sword among Luft sword collectors.

The grip is not so fantastic..but is all original and correct as well.
    You have done very well for acquiring from this estate sale.

The oakleaf relief on the pommel sides are crisp and clean. Nice

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 01-16-2022 at 06:05 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, thank you for your kind words and insight into my sword. I have quite a few other WW2 German swords and daggers, but this is my first luftwaffe sword, so I don’t know too much about them yet. Your words put my mind at more peace, to the best of my knowledge this sword came from the estate of the veteran who brought it home after the war. This sword was the only military item from the estate, so I assume that he was not a collector, and it was just a war trophy. But with this sword being a little unusual, I was a little worried about buying it.

?

Nice pick up. Great sword. Believe it is “ Fl. Gr. 114” and not “Fr. Gr. 114”. Pilot Gruppe 114 I believe. Nice gilding on the pommel yet that is randomly seen. I have a Horster Luft in my collection and on my website. Luftwaffe Sword

Luftwaffe Swords are amazingly done and the details along with Nickel Fittings and weight with the Nordic Viking look are a great piece to add to any collection. Cheers!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Glad to help out Mr Andrews.......when you have time we have separate sub forums for almost every brand of edged weapons produced by the Third Reich....and would love to see them each individually in their own threads.

Each Edged type will have their own story of production and where it served ...and will be answered in detail by the many researchers and collectors here.
    We hope you continue your patronage here ...there is much see read and study in all facets of Militaria History from Pre WW 1 to the present.
    Enjoy your stay

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill