Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co

Article about: I picked up this 2nd Model Luftwaffe dagger w/a maker's mark of A. Schuttelhofer & Co a while back, but haven't posted it to the forum yet, so though I'd throw it in to see what people t

Quote by georgi View Post
    Hi David.
    Lakesidetrader has several examples. The ring above the cross guard is also shown. Some examples are shown as ASSO others as Schuttelhofer. The main difference I see with the scabbards on these examples is the scabbard throat screws. I don't know which option is correct. You can look at which is the most common, but these are details. Your dagger is better than shown. Here is a picture of the ring above the cross guard that I found in my reference book.
    Regards Georgi.Attachment 1681811
    Thanks for the info Georgi, I appreciate it....I wonder if the scabbard throat screws may have differed depending on the maker like the style of the oak leaves? As this is the only Luftwaffe dagger I possess at the moment (though the dealer I got it from did recently acquire a second one that had the hanger with it), it's hard to say how it compares to other physical examples other than by what people such as yourself know of and/or can see on daggers in their own collections or that are available on the web...like other things, my guess would be the materials used/design varied slightly by manufacturer but still had to meet overall approval from the party.

One interesting thing I saw on one of the Lakeside daggers was that the oak leaves on the ring were reversed, with the top at the cross guard and the bottom near the handle like it was put on upside down, unless there was some meaning behind it; Walter Prien's 2nd Model Luftwaffe Dagger w Damascus Blade | Lakesidetrader

What is the title of that reference book? I have a two on German silverware/tableware by James Yannes, but none on daggers, so having one of them would be a boon in trying to decide on future purchases around legitimacy of the items.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd Model Dagger - A. Schuttelhofer & Co
    P
    Many

The photos is seen on page 220 of Thomas Wittmanns Reference " Exploring the Daggers of the German Luftwaffe "

I very good source reference > Wittmann Antique Militaria - Thomas T. Wittmann Reference Books
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2