Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMF

Article about: Hi all, Took receipt of this one today and worried I might have been a bit too quick as I see signs that this might be mismatched. Blade is maker marked SMF, with a light waffenamt (I think)

Default Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMF

Hi all,

Took receipt of this one today and worried I might have been a bit too quick as I see signs that this might be mismatched. Blade is maker marked SMF, with a light waffenamt (I think) stamp. The crossguard however appears to have Eickhorn style oakleafs (?). Also, the pommel appears quite different in patina to the crossguard and scabbard, the pommel has metallic highlights, whereas the scabbard and crossguard has a solid matte gray appearance. I also understand now, in hindsight, that SMF only used aluminum bands on their scabbards?

I fear that I've messed up and done the thing I usually never do, which is do the research after, not before... but wanted to check with you guys on here before acting on this any further. Maybe I'm seeing things, maybe I'm not... just not proficient with these things. Definitely suspect the crossguard is incorrect though, at the very least.... although I also saw another post on here referencing Tom Johnson saying that manufacturers did mix and match at times.... no idea what to believe.

Took a few quick shots of different details here, let me know if you need more/better ones. Thanks

Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMFLuftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMFLuftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMFLuftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMFLuftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMFLuftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMFLuftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd model dagger SMF
    P
    Many

This shot is a bit more true to how the patina/finish of the components actually compare, the pommel especially sticks out. Please excuse the lack of photos taken in natural lighting, just not possible right now

SMF makers mark

MAP
    ?

Great to see you posting again!

I'm sure the edged weapon guys will be around shortly!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you my friend! Been a slow few years, but I reckon I'll be more active once I'm done with my bachelor's degree and get back to working again... not long left now

MAP
    ?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thank you my friend! Been a slow few years, but I reckon I'll be more active once I'm done with my bachelor's degree and get back to working again... not long left now
    Good luck. Will be nice to have you back!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Slados ..glad to see you posting again
    But got some not so good news with this dagger.

Mish Mash
    Scabbard is either Eickhorn or Ernst Pack maybe something else too.
    The crossguard is a very weak resemblance to an SMF crossguard ..the oak leaf relief on top of the guard is very shallow ..yet the the hand enhancing is there.

The other observation is the pommel does not appear to be SMF nor does the grip fit well to the pommel.
    The pommel should at least conform to the top of the grip...but on your example the top of the grip looks like an observation deck on a tall building.

The blade is correct
    This is one that has questions ..and too many questions leaves doubt.
    I agree ...a little more research may be necessary before purchasing.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you. Larry! Good to be somewhat back into collecting again and on here, for sure... always a good time and lots of great advice!

Will be contacting the seller shortly to return.... with the price and info I got here now I cannot possibly justify this purchase. Next time, business as usual.... research and/or post on here BEFORE pulling the trigger