MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

NEED HELP - Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for review

Article about: Hello guys - I'm back again with another 1st model LUFT - this one is interesting. I hope you can offer your thoughts. So, I was offered this blade from a collector and the attached photos a

?

Default NEED HELP - Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for review

Hello guys - I'm back again with another 1st model LUFT - this one is interesting. I hope you can offer your thoughts.

So, I was offered this blade from a collector and the attached photos are what I've been provided.
    Right away, I notice that the chain is a bit shorter than standard, but I have read (and heard) that's not always a red flag.
    Also - the seller says the chain is aluminum. Per the Wittmann book (page 63), he states it is not unheard of for mid-period 1st pattern LW daggers to be nickel hilt parts/fittings and yet equipped with aluminum chains. There are some nicks and wear/tear to this one. As I continue to learn, I value feedback if I am overlooking something else on this piece. (ps - I know the photos are a bit dark, if I decide to pursue and get the dagger in hand I can add photos.). What do you think? Cheers, Dan

NEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for reviewNEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for review
    P
    Many

Hi Dan ...I dont see any glaring issues other than some blade condition.

I would wait for other thoughts as well and also need to double check to see if the grip wire wrap is correct for a Pack Luftwaffe dagger.
    It appears so from other examples I have seen.

I have also seen with this producer the triple twisted brass wire wrap as well. Too close for me to call on.

Hang tight Dan

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks Larry -
    also, UPDATE - it is aluminum pommel and cross guard. So, is that normal to have the inserted brass medallions with sunwheels as such? That throws me off for sure !

Since I dont have it in hand and that you pointed out a brass medallion inserted in a Aluminum pommel...I never thought was possible and now I would hold off on purchasing the dagger until more thoughts are posted.

Photos and in hand inspection are 2 different views. At a quick glance the pommel appeared to be just a shiny nickel fitting.
    Honestly I never seen an aluminum mount with a brass medallion.

Wait for more thoughts and comments ...this should be a learning curve for myself and others.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

No worrries, this one is exactly like it should be. You are right that it may seem strange that the big swaz is made out of different material than the small ones but this is exactly how Pack made this mid-period dagger.

Regards
    Danny

?

…And when I find the time I will post it’s twin brother

?

Quote by dr73 View Post
    No worrries, this one is exactly like it should be. You are right that it may seem strange that the big swaz is made out of different material than the small ones but this is exactly how Pack made this mid-period dagger.

Regards
    Danny
    +1
    mix of materials and triple gripwire, agreed

Ger

?

As promised, here's the twin brother of the one you showed.

Regards
    Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NEED HELP -  Mid-Period 1st model LW dagger (E.PACK) for review