MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?

Article about: Hello Everyone. I hope all is well with you and yours. I have a few questions to ask of the Daggers/forum members. I previously posted a new thread called at this link https://www.warrelics.

sd8
    ?

Default Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?

Hello Everyone. I hope all is well with you and yours.

I have a few questions to ask of the Daggers/forum members.

I previously posted a new thread called at this link WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro? about my dagger I bought years before.

I forgot ask about the portepee that came with the dagger. I did research this site and read all I see about WWII German portepee but maybe I am missing it but I can't find anything that shows how to determine real or fake.

Truthfully I thinks mine is fake because it looks to me like the repro portepee's being sold on Ebay from Italy.

First question is the portepee that came with my dagger real WWII German porteppe or fake?

The second question is if its fake, should I buy a real one and put it on the dagger? I think it looks neat on the dagger but it if fake and I replace it, am I just ruining the history of a the dagger by replacing it? Looking for opinions.

The third questions is the if the porteppe is fake I would like to put a real one because I think it looks neat. The links below are for sales on ebay and GB. Are these real WWII German Portepee's?

Link 1 Ebay. Beautiful original unissued WWII German Dagger-sword silver bullion knot | eBay

Link 2 GB. GERMAN WWII NAZI ARMY LUFTWAFFE DAGGER PORTEPEE - WW1 & WW2 Collectibles at GunBroker.com : 879580372

The fourth question is why do I see real WWII German portepees that look flat rope and some are round rope? What appropriate?

I have attached photos of my portepee. Additional info: It has no ID marks or writing on it. The piece near the braided ball cannot be slid up the rope, it is fixed. It is definitely made of some sort of metal but I do not know what metal. Let m know if you need more pictures.

Thank you everyone in advance for taking the time to review my posted thread,
    Stephen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?   Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?  

Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?   Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?  

Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?   Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?
    P
    Many

It could be either Naval or Heer .
    Wait for more thoughts

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Stephen,
    I believe what you have is a typical original portepee for a Heer dress dagger.
    Normally the Luftwaffe portepees are shorter, and tied on differently. Yours is tied in the manner typical for Heer daggers.
    I think why some appear to be "round rope" and some "flat rope" is that when new, they were most likely all "round rope" as you call it. Remember, these swung around all of the time when these were in wear, banging into the scabbard and other things while on parade, or on chairs while having a fancy dinner. I think if you look closely, you will see that even some of your bullion cord is still round in the protected areas.
    Here is a photo showing the normal length for Luftwaffe daggers and the method of tying, as well as an unissued Naval portepee to see the cord.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

sd8
    ?

Good evening Larry and Fred.

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate your input. I am glad that it is a real one.

Thanks again and have a good night,
    Stephen

?

For future reference and research. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?   Need to know if the portepee on my WWII German Dagger is real?  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

sd8
    ?

Thank you Gwar for you response.

I will keep the response for reference.

Thanks again and have a good night,
    Stephen

Not sure who Fred is but, the example in Link #1 has a flat strap because it is for a sword, not a dagger.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

sd8
    ?

Good morning Ralph.

Thanks for this info. I was curious what the difference was (flat or round rope), you answered that. I decided to buy/order a repro dagger and portepee so I can have it on my desk as a letter opener. I doing this based on the my other thread where it is stated the phenolic grip gets more brittle with age.

Again, thank you, an have a good day,
    Stephen

sd8
    ?

Referring to my 10-17-2020, 12:36 AM posted reply.

I am sorry, I guess I should not post responses at 10-17-2020, 12:36 AM. Friday night is my adult beverage night. I meant to refer to Ralph and Larry. My apologies to you Ralph.
    Have a good day,
    Stephen

?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    For future reference and research. G
    No idea what these Photos should do in this post.
    Ebay link1 shows:
    By showing a fake repro kind of sword or Sabre portepee doesnt do any good here LOL
    The Luft and army Portepee's are the same in style and appeareance only differ in lenght, army is 44cm lufts can differ in lenght but are way shorter appr. 24-28cm
    marine Portepee also has the same style but is 48cm, and often has the cat anus instead of the band on the bottom of the acorn.

Cheers
    Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast