Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger

Article about: Hello, new guy here with very little knowledge of German militaria. I recently purchased this for \\$300 from the grandson of the vet who allegedly brought it back to the US upon his return fr

Default New guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger

Hello, new guy here with very little knowledge of German militaria. I recently purchased this for $300 from the grandson of the vet who allegedly brought it back to the US upon his return from the war. I also obtained the vets WW2 discharge papers, several ribbons/medals, and several other small items.

Should I clean the scabbard? I know typically it is best to leave items in original condition.

Any information would be appreciated.

Much thanks,
    Rob

New guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe daggerNew guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger[ATTACH=CONFIG]452810[/ATTACH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger
    P
    Many

Default Re: New guy with 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger

Beautiful dagger and at a Great price. Personally, I would not do a lot of cleaning on the scabbard, only what might be necessary for preservation. The experts will let you know what to do, or not do. I am not one of them.

Hello Rob and welcome to the forum!
    I would say that you will probably have to leave it the way it is. It is in this codition due to the way it has been stored since it was brought back. If you look, you will see that the band around the handle at the hilt is in the same condition. Just try to protect it from too much humidity and it will remain this way for a long time. The rest of the dagger appears to be in good condition otherwise.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Joe,, you must be a "Dragnet" fan Great advice from the Gents above. Leave it alone. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you very much for your replies Sirs.

Larry, it's a nickname given to me early in my career by some "old timers" and I've hung on to it.

Best,
    Rob

?

Rob , that's a sweet Alex Coppel made example for 300 bucks and vet details always put a premium on these items
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thank you very much Alex.

Best,
    Rob

Hi Sirs,

I was showing this dagger to a local collector and he described this scabbard as a "transitional" scabbard due to it being steel with aluminum fittings and steel loops. Any thoughts or info on that?

Thank you again,
    Rob

Many daggers used different parts with different metals, esp late war, you can go crazy trying to figure it all out, I wouldnt worry too much about it, you have a really really nice example of a 2nd model luft dagger, the blade and the maker marks are both in really decent condition, and I think the scabbard looks kind of cool with the dark patina shell and the alum fittings, its a nice contrast of color and makes it stand out IMO. Great pick up for the price!

Thank you..
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast