Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !

Article about: Gents - This dagger offered to me by a local dealer and I was generously allowed to go into the shop, take photos and handle the artifact. I love the blade on this SMF dagger - the lighting

?

Default FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !

Gents -
    This dagger offered to me by a local dealer and I was generously allowed to go into the shop, take photos and handle the artifact. I love the blade on this SMF dagger - the lighting in the shop made my photos less than ideal, and they don’t do justice. There is decent cross-graining. The guards are stamped on both sides, one side with “K” and the other side appears to have an F-36 acceptance stamp (If I see that correctly, it’s in the photos). I love the stamps on throat of the scabbard. The leather on handle in very good/great shape … the leather on scabbard is decent.
    So, here is what gave me pause and destroyed my “love at first sight” feeling … It’s the scabbard; The screws are not flush …dome type and seem to be replacements. Also, notice where the chape fits into the lower portion of the scabbard. The leather appears damaged on both sides, and under magnification - it appears the chape was in fact removed at some point and not receded to the original position (I put some arrows on the photos). Because the dagger is priced handsomely (not below market value), my hesitation to such an investment is strong right now. It’s still a neat dagger to look at, and I wanted to share with you for broader thoughts and opinions. Am I being too critical of this piece?
    I am attaching a fair number of photos from my visit for your review. Thx, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !   FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !  

FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !   FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !  

FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !   FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FOR REVIEW: a challenging DLV/NSFK I wanted to like !
    P
    Many

Love it and all with the markings..I see no issues with the lower scabbard fitting as the screws are unmessed with and can be attributed to time that the scabbard covering may have shrunk a little.

I like it

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Dan,

here are my 2 cents:

SMF never used flush screws on these Flyers knives, nor any other producer, they always used the very flat screws, if you see 1 with dome ones, well leave it where it is.
    Flush screws we see on 1st type Luftwaffe daggers (Borddolche).
    This one has no real issues other then the pimped leather, its been died or painted but for sure not the original factory colour.
    When im home after the office i will post some pics of my latest SMF which still has its original frosting on the fittings.
    Look at the grain and colour of the leather and you will see what i mean.

Best
    Ger

?

Here you go Dan, i'll think you can see the differences regarding colour and appearance, note also the typical frosting on the fitting.
    You can also see that the paintjob on the one you posted filled the thin structure of the grain.

Ger

?

Wow - Very nice !!!

The inspection mark on the scabbard throat is of the earlier Imperial eagle design which continued until 1938 when the TR era WaA was introduced. I would think the leather scabbard covering has simply shrunk.