Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?

Article about: I am new to this forum so "Hello everyone" and "Thank you in advance for your input" I was going thru my junk this last weekend and came across a dagger I bought about 10

sd8
    ?

Default WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?

I am new to this forum so "Hello everyone" and "Thank you in advance for your input"

I was going thru my junk this last weekend and came across a dagger I bought about 10 to 15 years ago off from an online site. I have attached photos.

I just want to know if real or repro and if it is real roughly what year it is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?   WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?  

WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?   WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?  

WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?   WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Since you introduced yourself in your second post, I have moved this thread to the correct section of the forum for you to get some answers to your question.
    Other than the obvious damage, I don't see any issues with this dagger.
    Wait for other opinions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

sd8
    ?

Thank you Ralph. I really appreciate you correcting my posting order, again thank you! As far as the dagger thank you for your input.

It had a portepee on it so off it so it could be seen better. I keep it on because it hides the break. Here is a coupe of photos it.

Thanks again for responding!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?   WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?  

It looks like a period (Luftwaffe government purchased) example to me also. The acceptance stamp on the blade being the indicator. The break probably postwar because of its color as compared to the rest of the grip. Something that I think could be considered an admonition to collectors (and dealers) to be gentle with the cast phenolic resin grips because they trend to become more brittle with age. While the timing could probably be refined some, an initial estimate would be between 1937-1942. Best Regards, Fred

sd8
    ?

Hello Fred. Thank you for the information!

It's nice to know that it is believed to be real and narrowing down the period for the piece is a plus.

I did my own research before I bought it years ago but maybe I was wrong. I had to rely on photos of other daggers from the internet that looked like it.

I will be posting more stuff I have later. Not looking for info on the stuff just showing them off since they have been put away for so long.

I always appreciate it from anyone who has comment on what I post.

Thank you Fred for responding and everyone have a good day,
    Stephen

SMF is Solingen Metallwarenfabrik ..aka Stocker & Co.
    They made quality 2nd Model Luftwaffe daggers which I also echo Freds post above.

The Crossguard is Carl Eickhorn which SMF usually produced their own.
    The detail is seen on the top guard side of the oakleaf relief.

SMF had their border lines closer to the oakleaves where as seen on an Eickhorn example above the border lines have a larger space between.

Eickhorn

SMF
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

sd8
    ?

Thank you Larry C for the additional detailed information!

I took it apart again and attached a photo of the top for your records if you need it.

Again thank you all for your time in providing information about my dagger.

Everyone have a good day,
    Stephen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII German Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version real or repro?