Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

3 Reich Kantinenring

Article about: Thoughts and opinions ? I see my mistakes before and am still learning. Thanks. This one was from a recommended site

Default 3 Reich Kantinenring

Thoughts and opinions ? I see my mistakes before and am still learning. Thanks. This one was from a recommended site 3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring

- - ------- - -

The detail in this one is very nice. Mint markings but hard to read.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3 Reich Kantinenring
    P
    Many

Quote by camgrant23 View Post
    Thoughts and opinions ? I see my mistakes before and am still learning. Thanks. This one was from a recommended site.

The detail in this one is very nice. Mint markings but hard to read.
    To me, that one looks cast as well. In fact, I'm not convinced it is even silver. It is a known pattern and they were made of silver. There should be a clear, stamped silver content mark - 800 or 835 as I recall - on the inside of the band. The photos posted are indistinct which is always a red flag if that's all the seller provides. On the third and fourth photos above, it looks to me like there might be a hallmark of some sort on the outside of the shank. It's hard to tell from these photos. If so, it's not even German. Regardless, I think it's a dud.

Are you sure? Ive sent this to others and they have said this looks good. And this was from a very well known recommended dealer from this forum. It looks way more detailed in the back of skull the teeth and everything

Quote by camgrant23 View Post
    Are you sure? Ive sent this to others and they have said this looks good. And this was from a very well known recommended dealer from this forum. It looks way more detailed in the back of skull the teeth and everything
    Am I 100% sure? No. it’s always tough to be certain, especially with such poor photos. At first glance, it might look OK, a known pattern of Kantinering. As noted already, however, there are few things that bother me:

1. Arguably, if it had been worn on a daily basis, it might be more worn, especially around higher points like teeth and ends of bones.
    2. I think the band is too thick and crude. To me it does not look die-stamped. It should taper to an elegant thinness at the back. Compare with the ring in the photos below
    3. What is that vaguely rectangular shadow on the outside of right of the shank? Look at your third photo. On the fourth, there might even be two marks on the outside of the shank, one on each side. But the photos are blurred. If it’s a hallmark of some kind, the ring isn’t German. German rings were always stamped on the inside of the shank. Is there a clear photo of any silver mark on the inside of the shank? If not, ask the seller.
    4. There are no glaring signs of casting that I can see, perhaps except at the top of the skull where there should normally be a small ledge, emphasised by blackening, where it joins the cartouche. Maybe it’s just worn away on the ring you posted, but it could also be poorly cast. That would worry me. But, if it’s a copy, it’s quite a good one.

Is it a nice ring? Yes, I think so. If you like it and it doesn’t cost a fortune, why the hell not? Is it an authentic Third Reich die-stamped skull ring? There’s a fair chance the answer is 'no'. Other opinions vary. That’s fine too. That’s why we are all here on a discussion forum.

Here is the same pattern. This one is good. Compare the differences. Nice shiny silver, worn where it should be, nicely tapering band. The silver 835 mark is quite worn and my photo is crap but it’s there inside the shank.

Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting Third Reich jewellery. Never a dull moment!

3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring3 Reich Kantinenring