MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find

Article about: I found this at a yard sale last weekend, it was mixed in with random old junk jewelry and I picked it up for \\$10. I deal in vintage jewelry and could tell this was old and high quality so I

Default Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find

I found this at a yard sale last weekend, it was mixed in with random old junk jewelry and I picked it up for $10. I deal in vintage jewelry and could tell this was old and high quality so I picked it up. I later realized that rings of this style used to be worn in the German military and so I figured I'd come here. The previous owner had glued in a replacement junky foiled stone (the original is lost sadly) so I cleaned up the glue residue and removed the junky stone.

The stamp seems to fit with Nazi era Germany, a crisp 835 silver stamp with the German Laurin mark (used in the 30s until 1938 I believe?). It's clearly a high quality piece in person so I wanted to check in here.

No other markings and definitely no provenance sadly. What are your thoughts on this piece?

I wasn't sure how to add photos here so I added them to this link, please let me know if there's a way to do it here and I'll add them here as well

https://imgur.com/a/Zv6CxCB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find
    P
    Many

Ok I think I'm adding these photos correctly? Hopefully this helps as well as the link in the first comment of the thread
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find   Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find  

Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find   Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find  

Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find   Hoping to get your thoughts on this yard sale 835Ln lion's head ring find  

MAP
    ?

Will wait for the ring guys to chime in but I don't think there is any military connection to this ring. Certainly not 3rd reich related.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

It is the style of a known canteen ring type from WWII so I think it had a good chance. The only issue I see it that it is higher quality than other canteen rings.

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    It is the style of a known canteen ring type from WWII so I think it had a good chance. The only issue I see it that it is higher quality than other canteen rings.
    I echo this comment.
    The only other thing is, I believe it should have a stone in the mouth.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Will wait for the ring guys to chime in but I don't think there is any military connection to this ring. Certainly not 3rd reich related.
    Well, always happy to be wrong and learn something new. I never would have expected this to by 3rd Reich.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I’m just as surprised as MAP is! And just as wrong to have thought it wasn’t TR related. Always learning in this hobby!

I hope the ring works-out for you!

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Pretty good deal for $10!

Such lion head rings are not necessarily 'Third Reich Rings' and not necessarily military. Anyone could buy one. This was a popular design in Germany in the 20s and 30s, throughout the war and into the 50s and 60s. For all I know, they might even still make them.

I have seen such rings with silver content marks of 835 and 900. They came in silver and also gold-plated silver. Some had glass beads in the eyes, some in the mouth, and some in both mouth and eyes.

The photos posted are very small but the ring has fine detail, a nice thin band and age patina, worn in the right spots; the hallmark looks stamped too. Bigger, more detailed photos are needed in order to make a better assessment

Without solid provenance, it’s impossible to date. Since it has a Laurin (Ln) mark, the ring is likely from the 30s as this ‘mark of quality’ was used only from 1934 to 1938 I believe.

Stephen

P.s. For future reference, please don’t post links to photos. They always disappear after a while, making them useless for the forum archive. Upload them directly into the post.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! I really appreciate the information.