Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Legion Condor Ring

Article about: I would appreciate any thoughts on this LC ring. I realize these are very subjective and hard to authenticate. However this does look legitimate to my eyes.

?

Quote by GlennAgain View Post
    Beautiful Piece, Aldo - Well done, friend!
    The close-up photos are fantastic as well ..
    Thanks, I got lucky on this piece. I saw it advertised on a link for about $300. I snapped it up immediately
    Regards, Al

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Legion Condor Ring
    P
    Many

That is a beauty indeed, Al. I like it a lot . Congratulations! It's nice to see a lovely, genuine ring here for a change, rather than some of the junk we've been seeing lately. I'd be happy for you to add this beauty to my collection!

?

I came across this odd looking version. Any chances this could be authentic?

Legion Condor RingLegion Condor Ring
    Regards, Al

Something weird happens when I post a reply. It only posts the first few lines. I will try again

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I came across this odd looking version. Any chances this could be authentic?
    That is indeed a strange-looking specimen, Al. I’ve never seen this pattern before. The eagle looks like a duckbill platypus with wings but the eagles on all LC rings are unlike the typical Luftwaffe eagle. Many if not most of these rings were personal purchases, often unique, made in Spain where the craftsmen may not have been under the same strictures regarding official symbols and motifs as in Nazi Germany.

It’s quite a nice ring but its relative lack of quality compared to other LC rings worries me somewhat. For example, the unevenness of the lettering, that odd bird (and it really is odd). Then again, consider the primitive quality of many of those DAK rings that are popular among the ring fraternity. Is this just what happens sometimes when jewellery is made by craftsmen, for example in a bazaar, who might not be top notch?

Is there any information about the ring, Al?
    • What is the significance of Toledo? I have a couple of LC rings with Toledo gold inlay (Damascene) patterns in the silver but was there an LC base in that city?
    • It looks like a two-piece but what’s it made of?
    • If there is a silver mark, is it on the outside of the shank as we’ve seen with other LC rings?

I’m interested to learn what others think. Personally, and without convincing provenance, I would be leery of this one unless it’s a real bargain.

Cheers,

Stephen

I dont know if this is any relevance ...but I found this Wikipedia blurb on a battle that happened in Toledo in 1936.

" Following the July 1936 coup d'etat in Spain, the acting military commander in Toledo, José Moscardó, refused to provide weapons to Madrid and hid instead in the alcázar with a garrison of about 1,000 rebels, food, ammunition and some hostages.

[59] After 21 July, they became subject to an unsuccessful siege by forces loyal to the Republic during the early stages of the Spanish Civil War.
    [60] Leading rebel general (and soon-to-be "caudillo") Francisco Franco and his Army of Africa took a detour from their advance towards Madrid (that gave time to the Republicans to build up the defenses in Madrid and receive early foreign support) and lifted the siege of the alcázar in late September 1936.
    [61] The two months of resistance of the garrisoned rebel military would become a core symbolical feature of the mythology built around the Francoist regime and its ideology.

Toledo, Spain - Wikipedia
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry, that's interesting but I'm not sure that it is strictly relevant. The battle referred to above took place in July 1936 but I believe the Condor Legion did not arrive in Spain until later that same year. However, there were a couple of battles around Toledo in 1937 involving air units of the Condor Legion.

?

Quote by SpitfireVb View Post
    That is indeed a strange-looking specimen, Al. I’ve never seen this pattern before. The eagle looks like a duckbill platypus with wings but the eagles on all LC rings are unlike the typical Luftwaffe eagle. Many if not most of these rings were personal purchases, often unique, made in Spain where the craftsmen may not have been under the same strictures regarding official symbols and motifs as in Nazi Germany.

It’s quite a nice ring but its relative lack of quality compared to other LC rings worries me somewhat. For example, the unevenness of the lettering, that odd bird (and it really is odd). Then again, consider the primitive quality of many of those DAK rings that are popular among the ring fraternity. Is this just what happens sometimes when jewellery is made by craftsmen, for example in a bazaar, who might not be top notch?

Is there any information about the ring, Al?
    • What is the significance of Toledo? I have a couple of LC rings with Toledo gold inlay (Damascene) patterns in the silver but was there an LC base in that city?
    • It looks like a two-piece but what’s it made of?
    • If there is a silver mark, is it on the outside of the shank as we’ve seen with other LC rings?

I’m interested to learn what others think. Personally, and without convincing provenance, I would be leery of this one unless it’s a real bargain.

Cheers,

Stephen
    Thanks Stephen, there is no information other than LC Ring, no additional photo's, no provenance. The price is low but not low enough to throw away money. As crude as it looks I think it's still feasible but not worth the gamble.
    Regards, Al

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Thanks Stephen, there is no information other than LC Ring, no additional photo's, no provenance. The price is low but not low enough to throw away money. As crude as it looks I think it's still feasible but not worth the gamble.
    I agree with you, Al, although I admit that I would be sorely tempted. Here, for others who might be interested, is an example of what I mean by Toledo gold inlay

Legion Condor Ring

?

Well thanks for the info. It sold for a meager $165. I figured it would go quickly at that price
    Regards, Al

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2